Looking for a nice 24"-26" LCD around $400

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LoneWolf121188, Aug 6, 2009.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Like it says...I don't do too much gaming anymore, but I'll probably be watching my fair share of Blu Ray action movies on it (through my MBP's DVI port), so a response time of around 5ms is probably good (I think?). Mostly going to be used for school work, some photo editing (hobby, not pro), and movies or xbox. Any thoughts? I saw the Dell 2408WFP on their website, anything else you'd recommend I look for?

Also, I don't need to buy this now...I can wait a month or so for a new product or for prices to drop. The earliest I'd buy it is the last week of august when I move into my apartment at school. So if they're something that's been announced that I should wait for, let me know!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Can someone say Dell. They just released an impressive monitor, Japan only though.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Dell.com

4. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

5. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Going around and posting "Dell.com" in every "which monitor should I get" thread really isn't helpful (see here). If you had actually read my post, you would have seen that I've already been to the dell website and saw a model that looked good. I was hoping to get feedback on that pick, and maybe suggestions to other models, or reviews or comparisons...not a link back to a website I've already been to.

6. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

7. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but it's a TN with few adjustment options and limited inputs. I was hoping to go for a non TN model.

Has anyone used the DoubleSight DS-265 W? I hear it's good, but there's a lot of sample variation...

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "Yes, but it's a TN with few adjustment options and limited inputs. I was hoping to go for a non TN model."

Visit anandtech.com and read their reviews.

The best Dell 24" display is the Ultrasharp 2408wfp. Decent price, too - selling today (from Dell) for $469.

I've heard (but cannot confirm) that the HP LP2475w is of similar quality.

- John

9. yardie macrumors newbie

It will be difficult to find a 24" IPS monitor that is under $400. Unless they are on sale of course. I can recommend the Dell 2408w,HP LP2475W, and the LG W2600HP (this one might be difficult to come by in the US, they have a cheaper one that has a similar name).

Personally, I bought the LG for 350€ last year and have been pleased with it ever since. It doesn't have as many inputs (DVI/VGA) as the other 2, but I only have one PC connected to it so additional inputs don't mean much to me.

10. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Greedo and yardie, thanks a lot! I'll definitely check those out.

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I will add my $.02 -

I would determine what monitor you want from Dell. Then watch for online discount codes that apply to that monitor. Dell is always running deals.

I picked up (2) 2209wa (e-IPS panels) for $459 including tax and shipping. After running dual monitors I'm not sure I will ever be able to go back. :D

12. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I have a 2408wfp from Dell that I paid less than $400 NIB. It is glorious with tons of connectivity.

Not for gaming, but a dream otherwise.

13. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

In the UK, the 2408WFP is £550 and the 24" LED Cinema Display is £584 with Education discount. If you were going to pay that kinda money for a screen, which would you buy?

14. Moriarty macrumors 6502

2209WA if you can get hold of one (apparently they are so heavily backordered you can't order them direct from Dell for a few months)... they are just about the only sub-$600 IPS panel.

The Dell 2007FP is an option as well, 1600*1200, either PVA or IPS (panel lottery). That is $379.

They may be too small though unless you're willing to compromise.

However if you want a decent 24-inch, your best options are the PVA 2408WFP or if you can stretch your budget the HP LP2475w is a 1920*1200 24-inch IPS for ~$550 on Amazon.

15. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I think it would boil down to what type of connections you need and if you're ok with the glossy panel of the ACD.

Having owned the ACD I can tell you it is/was the most beautiful display I've ever seen. If you're in an area (near a window or light) that may reflect off the panel - it will. For someone that is sensitive to glare (suffer from migraines) like myself, it was difficult to bare. Again this is subjective - so I would be sure to check it out in person.

16. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What makes you say not for gaming? Ghosting issues?

Definitely need a matte display...I get headaches easily.

I keep coming back to the 2408WFP...I'll wait a bit and see if prices drop into september.

17. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Well I should say first that I'm not a PC gamer so Im not using personal experience. The 2408 is gorgeous, but I have read that there is slight picture lag in games. Ghosting was evident in the 2407 but non existant in the 2408. I have the revA2 and have not noticed the lag myself.

18. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Dell, HP or Hanns.

I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of monitor sales Apple has lost over the last few years because of the their inexplicable refusal to carry a complete line of up to date monitors ? Absolutely baffling. Guess they don't need the money anymore. :confused: