Looking for a non glass L-shape desk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jetjaguar, Aug 26, 2013.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I currently have a glass L shaped desk and it is a pain to hide cables etc. Any recommendations for a nice looking L-shaped desk>?

2. Seo macrumors regular

The Ikea Galant system is great. I used to use their old birch veneer L desk and upgraded recently to their new color plus some extensions. Very modular and affordable, and it's got a cool system of accesories like the cable management tray that I have now to tame that mess under the front.

Here's a shot of it in my office:

[​IMG]

3. mneblett macrumors 6502

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Very nice desks. I am planning on running a 3 monitor setup with my imac when they finally update the display so I am going to need a lot of room.

5. blanka macrumors 68000

Don't do L-shaped desks or L-shaped kitchens. A corner never makes sense and is bad for your body. With all offices having bankrupt sales, just get a couple of those very basic tables with steel frame and light-grey/white veneer. They will last your entire life and are way more flexible than corner solutions. I picked up 5 tables from an old office for 100 bucks. Ikea crap can't compete with that.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

7. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

8. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I need this desk!

9. RCAFBrat macrumors regular

The Ikea one looks pretty nice.

One thing to consider when shopping: your desk is likely going to outlast anything you put on top of it! I suggest not going cheap / compromising since you want something that is solid, meets your needs today & in the future, is ergonomic, etc. This is the approach I took when I bought a desk for my PC many years ago and I have no regrets (about the desk that is - checked the store's website to see if it is still available but could not find it); do however need a new Mac!

Best of luck.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Another Ikea Galant (birch, T legs) user here. Mine is small. I just have the basic L and a semicircular extension on it. It suits the limited space I have in my home office perfectly.

B

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yet another Galant customer. My wife has one too.
    [​IMG]

The fisheye lens distorts things, but the desk with extensions is quite big -- that's a 27" iMac with a second 20" monitor, two printers and a cutting board. The filing cabinets have been discontinued. Shelving on the far wall is Billy and there is a 4x4 Expidit on the right. The white shelving on the far left is mine :)

12. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I have an Ikea Galant also, with T-legs. Very happy with it.

13. linds15 macrumors 6502a

another galant user here. not my setup anymore but desk is the same
    [​IMG]

14. geoffpalmeruk macrumors regular

geoffpalmeruk

I love corner desks and i'm making my own to be honest. I'm going to start a thread for the build shortly :)

15. 960design macrumors 68000

Attached Files:

16. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Another vote for Ikea Galant. Our home office has it on 2 and a half sides. You can put the legs in the centre in places so they don't bark your shins when you scoot your chair under them. Very solid. Ours has held a 24" iMac, mono laser, Epson c900 colour Laser, Windows (ugh!) PC, Scanner, stationary etc etc. Still as solid as ever after 7 years.

17. geoffpalmeruk macrumors regular

geoffpalmeruk