Looking for a orchestra VST / Audio Unit

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mgpg89, Jan 7, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I'm using the Ableton Live Suite and I'm looking for a good softsynth that produces some realistic orchestra sounds.
    Violins, cello's, contrabasses, you name it.

Don't care about the price, but would be good if I can demo it before I have to buy it.

2. james-thescalie macrumors member

probably not the most helpful reply but i like the ones that the NN-19 and NN-xt in reason has ill try upload some of the sounds but i wont be able to till friday, sorry

3. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Are those built-in presets in Reason or third party VST's?
    If they are built-in, I guess there's no way to get them in another DAW, right?

4. ukmacpro macrumors member

One of my favorite virtual orchestras is Garritan Personal Orchestra demos at http://www.garritan.com/mp3/

Although I use the MOTU Symphonic Instrument demos at http://www.motu.com/products/software/msi

Both work as plug-ins for most DAWs (I use Logic Studio) and also as stand-alone programs. Both used sampled sounds to build their instrument, so they sound much more realistic than a synth. The real skill in getting a realistic sound is how you sequence your MIDI. It's very hard to recreate subtle nuances of a musician playing live, you can create a pretty good simulation though.

5. james-thescalie macrumors member

yeah they are the ones that come with reason. With it though you get re-Wire and you can have ableton live running with reasons audio output going through an audio track in ableton.

6. james-thescalie macrumors member

just had a wave of genious...download the reason 4 demo. dont know if the demo alows re-Wire but at least you can hear the sounds im talking about. Have you had any more luck?