looking for a PB but....

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
207
12
Burton michigan
I am looking for a PB with a gig of ram, bluetooth and other bells and whistles to last me through college (by then the intel procs will be in full swing and I'll buy that)

anyone think at MacWorld Boston they will release new iBooks and powerbooks?

couldn't they max out the powerbook chip to 2 Ghz? (unlike the last crappy update) and throw in bluetooth?

I highly doubt they would give the ibooks an update and make them match the powerbooks.
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Raidersmojo said:
surprised there is no bluetooth on the powerbooks. was looking for a PB with a gig of ram, bluetooth and other bells and whistles to last me through college (by then the intel procs will be in full swing and I'll buy that)....

I highly doubt they would give the ibooks an update and make them match the powerbooks. then give them bluetooth to boot. doesn't make any sense. :confused:
??
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/
"Buy any PowerBook G4, and you get Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless peripheral connectivity built in."
 

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
207
12
Burton michigan
read it wrong

yeah read incorrectly, sorry about that.

anyone think they will raise the 1.67 ghz to 2.0? they have to do something to encourage sales of notebooks (besides the ipod thing)

once again sorry for misreading the website, feel like an idiot
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
(NVM -- you were editing while I was typing).

BTW, Bluetooth (1.1, not 2.0) is also available on all iBook models as a built-to-order option. There are basically no devices now that do anything tremendously useful with BT2, and there probably won't be for another year or so.

As for 2GHz.... dunno. Anything is possible, I guess. I don't know what the power consumption and heat generation of the G4/2GHz is like.
 

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
1,495
0
Rockford MI
There wont be anything updated at boston (im 99.9999% sure). The next time these things could be updated is at the Paris Expo (thats when the Back to School promotion ends) Or they just might get a small speed bump sometime this summer.
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
Raidersmojo said:
anyone think they will raise the 1.67 ghz to 2.0? they have to do something to encourage sales of notebooks (besides the ipod thing)
All other things equal, the jump from 1.67 to 2.0 would barely be noticeable unless you are doing extremely processor intensive calculations/encodeing/etc. If you want a PB, just buy it. The longer you wait, the longer you don't have it.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
There is always a possibility that Apple could update at the July 7th news conference. Otherwise it think you might as well go ahead and purchase now. It just depends on how soon you need the PB. There could be a delay on shipping if one is released in September. So your need would dictate the decision.