Looking for a Phone

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by supercooled, Nov 11, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

As blasphemous as it is, I'm looking for a phone that isn't an iPhone. Reason being that I won't utilize it to its fullest but the one caveat is that it needs to be OS X friendly. Is there anything on the market that the Mac community is say, enamored with?

I've been looking at the Instinct and some other ones by Samsung but I have no idea if they'll play nice with Leopard.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The easiest solutions are the ones that are on the official iSync list. Generally, compatibility tends to be very excellent with Nokia (close to 100% on almost 100% of devices), very good with Sony-Ericsson, ok with Motorola, and limited with Samsung and LG.

Here is the support list:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2824

If you go beyond that, PocketMac and MissingSync give extended compatibility for Blackberries and Windows Mobile devices. MissingSync also gives extended function for Palm phones. And BitPIM gives some support for LG phones.

3. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will I have the full functionality of Calendar, Mail, Address Book, etc?

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Check out this app. It does OSX syncing and they have been around for a long time and are good mac devs.

http://markspace.com/
    :)

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Nokia E71. It's amazing! You can even install Fring onto it for Skype. MSN, Gtalk, AIM and so on. It's thinner than an iPhone, battery lasts for about a week on standby and you can put a 16GB micro SDHC card into it to listen to music or watch vids. I have one purchased out right :)

6. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

I second Nokia... prior to my iphone I love my Nokia e61i... e71 predecessor...amazing keyboard and isync worked perfect... you can pick one up significantly cheaper than an e71 at this point... high end Nokia's have amazing build quality my e61i survived anything and everything I could throw at it...

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They generally don't really sync with Mail in a meaningful way... but otherwise, fully supported iSync phones do sync with Calendar and Address Book.

For mail, generally the phone and the computer deal separately with the server. That means that, typically, they both make copies of sent mails on the server that the other device can see, etc. But it does depend somewhat on which type of mail server you are using (IMAP, POP, Exchange, etc).