Looking for a PowerMac G5 Quad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alexrmc92, Aug 8, 2013.

1. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

I'm looking to build a small hobby linux cluster to serve low access websites and host some virtual machines. I was looking at older intel XServe's and Mac Pro's but they either aren't in my budget (need about 4 computers) or don't suit my needs perfectly.

I settled on the PowerMac G5 because i can get it in a quad core configuration, the XServe G5 only has a dual configuration. Not to mention that the PowerMac will be much quieter. Considering i need 4 cpu cores per host to pull off what i want to do, the PowerMac G5 seems like the most affordable option. If i read correctly, that Quad model has the newer / better Panasonic water cooling module, correct?

I know this is a PPC mac and i know i can't virtualize x86 software. I plan on virtualizing PPC linux and maybe OS X in KVM, which it natively supports on the 970 PPC processors.

2. jmiddel macrumors member

Only the high end 2.5 gh one needs the water cooling, I have the 1.8 one that does not have the cooling.

3. alexrmc92, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

alexrmc92 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but the 1.8 did not come in a quad core option. The 1.8 also came from the FX generation of processors. I'm specifically looking for MP generation processors.

This is mostly for the PCIe and the ability to have 4 cores. The MP supposedly has panasonic water cooling which would be fine.