Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrBean

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I am wanting to index all my 9000+ pictures in spotlight by adding meta tags. IPhoto can add meta tags, but they don't add it into spotlight, which is a problem if I ever move my pictures to a different program besides Iphoto.

So what I am looking for is something that updates meta tags that you type in right into the spotlight info box, without having to open up info for each individual photo.

Hell, I don't even know if something like this exists.

plaidhippo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
spotlight tags with ilife 09?

Hi,
I was wondering about this same topic, especially with the impending introduction of ilife 09. With the capability of facial recognition and location tagging, my question is whether that tagging information would be saved as part of the picture (in a metatag or somewhere else) or if it would only be available in iphoto.

I have gigs of pics from the past few years, which I back up to folders instead of keeping them all in iphoto. I would love to import them temporarily, have the facial/location tagging added to the photo, and then export the again, keeping that info in the folder without having to have iphoto open. Then I could use spotlight or smart folders to find pictures quickly. That also seems similar to the intent of the original poster.

So if anyone learns if this is possible or not, please reply to this thread!

Thanks!
ashish

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I use the spotlight comments feature to tag my files, although I haven't used it for my images. You can build an automator workflow to add spotlight comments to batches of files to make it quicker. The general wisdom is to precede the tag with a '&' character (such as &Jim), which prevents spotlight returning documents and emails containing the tag text. Spotlight comments have worked well for me, although you have to be careful not to move the files anywhere where the meta data isn't supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.