Looking for a Prosumer HDD Cam... with a catch

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Benjamindaines, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Hello, I am looking to buy a prosumer video camera with a hard drive. It needs to be shoulder mount (so far I haven't found any that aren't hand-held) and compatible with Final Cut Pro. It does not need to he high definition, but does need to have a bunch of manual controls (focus (ring?), speed, exposure, white balance (preferable with a "lock" feature), and would be awesome if it had at least one XLR input (probably dreaming there).

Now I'm about to be unrealistic... so prepare yourselves. I would like to spend under $2000.

Does anyone know of anything I would be interested in?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know of any prosumer camera that record to internal HDDs and any third party, external recording unit is going to eat up at least half your budget. There are also very few prosumer cameras that are shoulder sized.

Lethal

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can get a helmet cam attachment for some camera, or get stabilization kits that puts it on the shoulder and body.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

5. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

So? Got something against tape?

HDV might not by true 1920x1080i, but it can still look pretty good. The OP said nothing about going flash or disk based, hell he didn't even request HD.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

:rolleyes:

Lethal

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Ben, you're reallly looking for an EX3 for $2000.... which sadly doesn't exist.

A used XL1/XL1s/XL2 would satisfy all of your needs except the HDD part.

8. -DH macrumors 65816

My sincerest apologies. I assumed that when the OP stated in the top post that he was "looking to buy a prosumer video camera with a hard drive" that he meant a camera with a hard drive for recording - not a tape based camera. I promise to pay closer attention next time if you'll do the same.

-DH