Looking for a protective case for X with gap on bottom for home button

Helljumper

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
So I just realized that with the X, I can't just get any random case. There a few other things to consider in case selection than before, and it's difficult to do research so I was hoping one of you can advise.
  1. Generally pretty protective with raised edges so that if it falls, the screen still isn't making contact with anything.
  2. But at the same time, I'm looking for something with a gap at the bottom so that sliding up for the "home button" feels the way it is intended.
  3. Compatible with wireless charging. I don't even know if this is something to consider. Should wireless charging work with any case?
A coworker was showing his Otterbox iPhone X case and I actually like how it's pretty slim yet still protective with slightly raised edges. But the raised edges are all the way across the bottom as well. Obviously there was no phone in it but it still felt like sliding up across that raised edge to go home wouldn't feel as nice.

Caliber26

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I had an Otterbox for my 3GS, and ever since the iPhone 4 I've gone with thin cases. And since the iPhone 6, I've just settled for the Apple leather case and I couldn't ask for more. It's protective enough for me and adds virtually no bulk to the phone itself. If you've never used one, I think it's worth considering it. It might not be as raised on the edges as you want, though, but I find that for my personal use and care of the phone, it does the job just fine.

Helljumper

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
He's acknowledged that. He's referring to the new "bar" at the bottom that you have to swipe up to go home. I can see with a bulky case or bottom lip how that might be frustrating if it constantly causes the phone to not recognize the swipe.
Thanks, yeah seems like you articulated my point better than I did in the OP. I have heard a lot of good things about the standard Apple cases so I'll look into that for sure

Reactions: Caliber26

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
The Apple leather ticks all of those boxes. I've used it on my 6 Plus for three straight years and it's given me no problems. Also develops a fine patina over time.

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
He's acknowledged that. He's referring to the new "bar" at the bottom that you have to swipe up to go home. I can see with a bulky case or bottom lip how that might be frustrating if it constantly causes the phone to not recognize the swipe.
Thanks, yeah seems like you articulated my point better than I did in the OP. I have heard a lot of good things about the standard Apple cases so I'll look into that for sure
Got it. My mistake!

Reactions: Helljumper