looking for a quick answer with SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G.T., Aug 26, 2009.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry to start another thread about Snow Leopard but I haven't got an answer yet so here goes:

I back up with time machine and would like to do a clean install of SL, would I be able to recover from my time machine even though it was backed up on Leopard and basically have the same machine b4 installing SL, i.e. colour profiles, safari bookmarks etc and if there are incompatible programs etc will they be installed and just won't run? One last question for the likes of aperture etc I have the retail version but will it back up with the key code so I won't have to type it in again, just curious?

Also who else will be doing a clean install and restoring from time machine?

What about this upgrade option I hear that is similar to archive and install, does it just rewrite parts the operating system while still running and applications stay intact? Is this an option you would recommend?

2. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone? Or is it still to early to ask because people don't have SL yet?

3. donster28 macrumors 65816

You wake up quite early don't you? :)

As far as I know, YES, you will be able to recover your Time Machine back-up of Leopard to Snow Leopard (of course it will recover every setting, bookmarks, installations, etc. to your new shinny OS). You will be asked by Snow Leopard about this during installation so just choose what's appropriate for you. And no, you shouldn't have to re-enter any key code.

I am doing the upgrade route myself...painless and hastle free. My Leopard is running quite fast already and have no problems so an upgrade is good enough. It's not like you're installing that other OS you know. OSX pretty much is smarter and will update necessary files, leaving your applications, settings intact.

I hope this helps.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have done this today.

Deleted my hard drive using utilities during installation, and did a clean install.

Then restored via TimeMachine (Leopard) backup once finished.

Everything worked perfectly.

5. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, I think i'll just use the upgrade cause I have no slowdown issue just now and if I need to I can do a clean install. Also I don't know if it was a joke or what?? um but I live in the UK so just clear things up its maybe different time zones, so I don't wake up early?

6. donster28 macrumors 65816

Hehe...no problem. I was just kidding on the "waking up early" comment. I didn't know you're in the UK. We're just starting the day here in Eastern Canada. :)

7. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its cool I actually got up at lunch time :p well it is the holidays and I was tired!

8. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

What I am thinking of doing is making sure everything is backed up via Time Machine and then doing a complete format of the HD and clean install of SL. Then I will transfer my documents folder and some specific settings (safari bookmarks for example) but I don't want to restore everything. I think it's good to clean out old preferences files, Application Support files, plugins, etc that I haven't used in a while and this is a good way to do it.

I will probably delete all of my past Time Machine backups and keep just the most recent backup of my drive to save space on my backup drive and then start a new backup of my newly formatted Leopard drive and keep the old one for a few months to make sure there is nothing I am missing.

I know that seems like a lot of work but I think it's worth it to format your computer and this is a good chance to get rid of lots of crap I don't use.