Looking for a recommendation for a backlit keyboard that feels like Apple keyboards

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mossme89, Dec 20, 2016.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

The fastest I've ever typed and the most accurate is on the keyboard of my MacBook Pro 15". I'm looking for something similar for my Windows PC but a backlight is a must (I often use the PC in the dark.)

if Apple sold a backlit keyboard, I would buy it I'm looking for a USB keyboard for my desktop with a backlight. I just want something that's easy to get used to coming from a MacBook Pro. I usually go back and forth from my PC to my MacBook and I always have to get used to the PC keyboard again.

It doesn't have to be top of the line, just around the price of the Magic Keyboard, so $100 or so.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I personally use Apples extended keyboard for my iMac (wired but with a lot of extra keys). Now, it isn't backlit, but there are three solutions for that.
    1) DIY – Make it backlit! You can even do it better than Apple, since they use a single backlight for all the keys (except on the new MBP), and you can install one for every key.
    2) [recommended] Learn to use it without light or looking at it. Once you get the hang of it, it's just in the fingers, and you can hit every single key without needing to see where things are and such.
    3) [not recommended] Just have a light pointed at it...

Aside from that, I know of none that resemble the Apple one and also has a backlight. Most people really love mechanical keyboards of some sort though, so maybe look into that?

3. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

please enlighten how you can perform this DIY?

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Pull off each and every key cap - Insert a tiny LED lamp and reinsert the key cap. LEDs need to have tiny battery cells inside, because routing power to them from elsewhere would be messy.

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Aesthetically pretty far from though, and not that many keys. I like having up to F19

7. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

There are so many options for Windows machines it's not even funny. I'm quite certain most of them suck, but you may find one that suits you. Here's a link to just one store.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I've never heard of a keyboard for Windows that doesn't work with Mac. Sure, the buttons have wrong logos, but aside from that it's all good.

9. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I'm not talking about simple keyboards like you might buy from Logitech. Most of these fancy-pants keyboards require drivers, which the manufacturer has not written a Mac version of, to control LED backlights, special button assignments, touch pads, etc.

The basic keyboard functionality works on any computer, of course. It's all the extra stuff I'm talking about.

10. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Right, sure that's a fair point. But as far as what I've tried, Wine usually handles those programs just fine. Don't know if your experience on that front differs.

To be honest though (and this is entirely personal preference and not about functionality), I don't care much for most of that extra stuff anyway. System Preferences allows you to fiddle enough with how the buttons function, making custom shortcuts etc. and different backlight colours and such means nada to me, haha.

11. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

This was just announced and is exactly what you're looking for, except for maybe the price. Matias announces backlit version of its Wireless Aluminum Keyboard in Silver and Space Gray - 9to5Mac
    https://apple.news/AeAY3KLojT3KcSGUcztVB3A