Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zemberoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Currently traveling a lot for work, and my 15-inch MBP's USB-C power adapter is too heavy to hold its own weight when plugged in on the airplane.

I know a simple solution would be to use the official Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable, but at 1.8m, it's a bit overkill IMHO.

Does anyone know of a shorter version (somewhere in the 1-3 ft range, either official Apple or from 3rd-party)?

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Currently traveling a lot for work, and my 15-inch MBP's USB-C power adapter is too heavy to hold its own weight when plugged in on the airplane.

I know a simple solution would be to use the official Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable, but at 1.8m, it's a bit overkill IMHO.

Does anyone know of a shorter version (somewhere in the 1-3 ft range, either official Apple or from 3rd-party)?
Any cable with that particular layout should work fine. This one is from my old Playstation 2 adapter and it works just fine in the power adapter. It might not look pretty but it works and you can get any length cable that you want.

I didn't even realize that you could do that at first, until I was at a used pc parts/computer store and they had their used Macs plugged in like that.

I generally just use the original adapter or with the official extension cable (using a velcro tie to adjust the length), but this also works if you don't want to do that.
IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2245.JPG

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Any cable with that particular layout should work fine. This one is from my old Playstation 2 adapter and it works just fine in the power adapter. It might not look pretty but it works and you can get any length cable that you want.

I didn't even realize that you could do that at first, until I was at a used pc parts/computer store and they had their used Macs plugged in like that.

I generally just use the original adapter or with the official extension cable (using a velcro tie to adjust the length), but this also works if you don't want to do that.
View attachment 825005 View attachment 825006

This. I've been using my chargers for years with that layout.

You can also do that with the 12W iPad charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.