Looking for a simple and stable wireless router.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, May 29, 2009.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Hi

I'm looking for a wireless router that is (a) cheap; (b) stable; (c) simple to use. It does not have to be the latest and greatest (i.e. 802.11n); as it will not be used for any strenuous tasks. I just need something that will provide the internet to wireless users and a reasonable speed (I'm thinking wireless-G). I would like to spend as little as possible, but, I need something that isn't going to need any fiddling with (as some routers seem to require resets fairly often, etc.).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Remember: simple, effective, cheap. Basic stuff here. Should be easy but my past experiences have been somewhat disappointing.

Thanks!

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, but that is a trick answer!

Airport is overpriced, unstable and can be extremely frustrating with its proprietary software required to configure it. Avoid!

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Okay. That's fine if you feel that way. But I can't imagine a linksys or cheaper device could be easier to use with a mac. Occasionally there is a hiccup but not to the point where I would consider some other brand.

4. edge540 macrumors regular

edge540

I used to have an Airport Express until lightning struck our home and fried it. But it gave un-interrupted internet for 3 years straight (other than about a restart every 2 months or so).
    Seeing as I was trying to cut costs this year, I decided to pick up a $70 Linksys N router. That thing has been problems ever since the beginning. It took about 4 tries to set it up as it hung every time I tried loading the configuration. Since then, I get periods where I have to restart it every day to get the internet back. And finally the other week, I got back from a trip and it was not working. It took me TWO days to get it back working, resetting, refirming, reconfiguring and just waiting for the damn thing to start again. I almost just gave up and bought an airport. When its working its great, but it been a HUGE headache. If I could go back, I would definitely have gotten an airport express or even just the regular airport. Just my 2 cents.