Looking for a simple backup app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techlover828, Apr 15, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'm looking for a very simple backup app, all I want is for it to automatically copy my user folder once a week. Anyone know of any good ones? Thanks.

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I *think* SuperDuper! will allow you to do this kind of thing fairly simply. Take a look at their website for more details. That will run you $20-ish. I also think CarbonCopyCloner will do it for free. I would check out either one of those options, good luck

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you find other value in dot Mac, Backup is free to members and will do precisely what you want, including backup online or to any local media as you desire on any scheduling you want. It's not worth the money just for that one app, though.

I use dot Mac for some stuff, full bootable backups to SuperDuper! daily, and full Time Machine backups on the default schedule. I try to remember to do a WinClone on the Boot Camp partition monthly if I remember. Call me paranoid, but they've all been life-savers at one point or another.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...though you may find something cheaper (or free) I'd still second the recommendation to just spend the $$ and get SuperDuper. Not only will it do what you wanht but you'll soon see the other handy backup schemes it'll do for you as well...it really is money well spent....oh yeah!

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think .Mac's backup tool, as JohnNotBeatle said, is great for this very task. .Mac is a must for anyone with more than one mac computer.

6. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, well, I have it, but I don't want to wipe my external, which it wants me to do.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Huh? SD doesn't require erasure of anything, nor will it overwrite existing files on your external (I had both SD and Time Machine pointing to the same directory initially--no problem). It'll just plant everything where you specify. If you're really concerned about it, just create a subdirectory for the SD copy.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're running Leopard, there's always Time Machine too.

9. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I also will add "SuperDuper" is the way to go. As far as wiping an external drive, I have a 500G External with 3 partitions (1 for my MBP and 2 for XP Machines). No problem there unless you have only one partition and its in a Windoze Format. Then you may want to repartition/format it to use for your Mac and be Bootable from same Mac.

Bill.....:apple:

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You on commission?

dot Mac is cheaper by a long shot, plus offers a lot more than a backup utility. $120 a year for just 10GB of backup? I don't think so...

12. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

13. boast macrumors 65816

boast

it doesn't offer online backup :confused:

http://www.grapefruit.ch/iBackup/

14. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

15. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

I was also initially confused when I Googled iBackup...there is a company that offers oline storage for a hefty fee and a program that is a free download for local backups. Two different things.

For the record, I like Super Duper!

16. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+1 Just set up a scheduled event in CCC and it will run on it's own each week.