Looking for a SIP-compatible (and Skype too) VOIP phone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eji, Feb 22, 2008.

1. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I've canceled my current DSL and phone contract with Deutsche Telekom and I'll be getting a cable Internet connection come May. At the same time I plan to set up VOIP to replace my old landline.

My experience with VOIP so far has all been via my iMac and my aging Zaurus handheld. I've got an account with FWD, SIPphone (via Gizmo), and of course Skype, and I plan to get an account with either SIPgate or SIPnetworks here in Germany, both of which would allow me to transfer my current landline number to my new SIP account. In terms of software, I've used or played around with Gizmo, Skype, XMeeting, X-Ten and KPhone (on the Zaurus). That should give you some idea of my VOIP skill. Or lack thereof.

My question is, what sort of hardware will I need, and can anyone recommend a good VOIP phone? I don't really even know where to begin looking or what to look for. I'm aware that Siemens and Philips have VOIP and DECT(?) phones, but many of them list Windows XP/2000 as requirements, though I have no idea why a free-standing VOIP phone would need a driver of any sort.

I'm not made of money, but I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for something that can call through Skype as well as a SIP service so I can take advantage of better rates. Geeky stuff like Address Book sync/transfer and other IM integration would be big, big bonuses.

Of course, any hardware would have to be 100% OS X compatible, since we're a non-Windows household.

I hope there's someone out there who can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, and I've already had a look on Amazon.de. I came across models like this one, but I haven't the slightest clue as to whether or not it's the sort of phone I could use.

2. stomer macrumors 6502a

I've got a Linksys PAP2 plugged into my router. It works fine, quality is good enough although it's a bit complex to set up. It was a bit cheaper than buying a proper VOIP handset.

3. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I second that, get a Linksys SIP box, I've got an SPA-3102, then plug in a standard cordless DECT phone. Voila, runs off your router so your computer doesn't even need to be switched on.
    As you've got a lot of SIP accounts, if you want to receive calls on all of them, you'll need to make multiple SIP registrations, and most boxes can do only one or two. In this case, consider using one of the free virtual PBXs, such as:

www.voxalot.com or
    www.pbxes.com

or get one of the Fritz! boxes that support quite a few accounts:

http://www.avm.de/en/

Skype hardware for mac is generally a pain, as is Skype. Unless you've got lots of friends on Skype, for making calls SIP is way better, more choice and much better voice quality.

4. eji thread starter macrumors 6502

eji

Believe it or not, the Speedport 701V that came with my current DSL contract with T-Online is VOIP capable. I guess that's what the "V" is supposed to stand for. Unfortunately, they'd called it "DSL Telefonnummer" (DSL telephone number) in the settings, which meant I overlooked the VOIP set-up about 50 times.

So I've actually got no need for any other hardware, since it's working fine with my current cordless phone. I just entered my FWD and SIPphone accounts into it and it seems to be working brilliantly.

5. michaelharris18 macrumors newbie

6. eschw95458 macrumors member

I also am using the SPA2102 and it has been working perfectly for several years. I have Future nine as my voip provider. I am not sure if they provide service in Germany.

7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I'm also using a Linksys PAP2 with a regular DECT phone. Connects to my Asterisk server which is linked to my google voice account.

The PAP2 wasn't any more or less difficult to set up than any other SIP phone, plus it gives you a much larger (and cheaper) selection of phones to use. Also, Free phone service!

EDIT: Also, if you have an extra iPhone or something lying around, checkout the free softphones that are available. I recommend 3CX and Zoiper.