Looking for a solid dual purpose mouse and keyboard for OSX/Vista

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Commonmind, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Commonmind macrumors member

I recently purchased the (2.53) unibody MacBook Pro and 24" Cinema Display, and I'm in the process of looking for a good multipurpose mouse and keyboard combo that will serve as a bridge between Vista (and eventually Windows 7) and OSX.

I feel a bit silly even asking, giving my proficiency with PC's, but it's been a long time since I've worked with a Mac (OS 8.6, to be exact) and I'm a bit lost when it comes to finding the right keyboard and mouse combo for my current needs.

I will be doing some gaming -- though my main PC is a top of the line gaming rig, so having the best gaming keyboard and mouse for the mac is not a huge priority -- but mostly I'll be using the MacBook Pro for building websites (lots of hard-coding CSS/XML, graphic design work), video editing (including some motion graphics work using After Effects), writing and audio engineering.

Basically, I'm moving my workflow back to the Mac after taking a long professional hiatus from the platform.

I'd prefer a wired mouse and wireless keyboard. I was looking toward the newest Logitech diNovo (with the numerical pad) and a mouse with some gaming capability. I currently own a G9 for the PC, and would've loved for Logitech to add some OSX love with the latest G9x revision; I'm not a fan of the DeathAdder, which seems to be a popular recommendation among Mac gamers, and I'd rather stay away from wireless solutions.

I've already done quite a bit of research, but I'm open to any suggestions and would greatly appreciate the insight.

Thanks...

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I have a client who works regularly with both (although he's not the power user you are) and he's very fond of Matias equipment.

3. Commonmind thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the recommendation, Techound; I'll give them a look over.

4. gamer2502 macrumors regular

for the keyboard i would just get any good logitech keyboard they all seem good if you can go to best buy and try out the keyboards in the keyboard section and for the mouse there is no better mouse than a mx revolution it is $100 for a mouse but you really can't beat the logitech mx revolution:apple:

5. Commonmind thread starter macrumors member

No offense gamer, but if you're going to make a recommendation, please read the guidelines the individual asking for that recommendation has given you.

I'm looking for a wired mouse. I actually have an MX Revolution lying around; had I wanted to go that route, I would've used it and wouldn't have asked. Although I agree it's a fantastic mouse, it's not going to work for me here.

And again, I'm very specifically looking for a keyboard that's built for the Mac, but will work well as a Windows keyboard as well. Going to Best Buy and trying out all the Logitech keyboards I see will be fruitless, as very few of them found at Best Buy are actually built for Macs, and even some of them which will work with the platform exhibit problems within OSX or are missing specific functionality that I do not feel comfortable giving up.

I appreciate you putting the time forth to help...

6. frozenlead macrumors newbie

I'm really loving my G15 and MX518 combo. Cheap and nice.

7. Norco macrumors regular

I don't see what your fuss is about regarding getting a keyboard specifically designed for OSX. Do you want the little Apple signs on your keyboard? If so you can always hit up Apple's store. Even Microsoft products have software you can download specifically for the Mac.

8. Commonmind thread starter macrumors member

And those Microsoft products are compatible with OS X. If I didn't make it clear enough, I don't necessarily need a keyboard with an Apple logo, simply having one designed for use on both platforms will suffice -- which was my point.

There is no fuss, I just don't want to pick up a keyboard that will exhibit issues due to a lack of OS X compatible drivers -- for instance, the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard or the MX 5500 keyboard: both will work within the OS, but lose some of their key functionality, or can present issues I'd rather not deal with. If I'm going to drop money on a feature-rich input device, I'd like for those features to work as advertised, hence the question.

9. Commonmind thread starter macrumors member

I already have a g15 on my main PC, and once the g19 launches I will likely purchase that for the main PC and move the g15 over to the MacBook for some gaming. However, I would still like to find a wireless keyboard as well. When I'm doing my design work, I'm constantly moving my Wacom and keyboard around my workspace, as I often spend 10 to 12 hours a day when working on a project and sitting in the same position for long periods of time can wear on me (I suffer from scoliosis, and need to be consistently adjusting my seating position to thwart work-ending back pain). Needless to say, I enjoy the freedom of movement, something a wired keyboard would not give me with my particular workspace.