Looking for a solid "real" wood desk for my computer!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Alag28, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

you know those sophisticated yet simple just a slab of fine wood (light colored wood)?

that is what im looking for to give my room a clean cut appearance and it also looks good with the mac computers

OHH!!

just like the tables apple stores have to showcase all the displays but of course a more personal size!

any recommendations?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Mine's not real wood, but you can't beat the price. I'm too lazy to take a picture, I'll do it tomorrow.

http://www.globaltotaloffice.com/gu_2010/control.php?record_id=13

I have drawers at the right, but I think you can order it without.

EDIT: I bought it at Staples. $320CAD for a 30" x 60". You get to choose the color.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

So like a beech-coloured desk?

4. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Two words.

Thrift stores (particularly large ones that have furniture).

I picked up a fantastic wooden secretary's desk (including a typewriter shelf) for $25. I wish I still had that desk...

5. BurningJah macrumors regular

self-made

you could make it yourself! it's cheap and easy! Just the leveling out might be tricky.
    and you can make the dimensions of the table the way you want! mine is set on 80cm high, 3,5m wide!

6. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Make you own with Baltic Burch wood.

Kinda like the Ikea Jerker desk.

[​IMG]

7. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea

i forgot a good friend of mine's brother does carpentry work for a living hes gonna give me a quote hope its not too much.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You want a desk like one of those Apple Store tables, and yet you want it out of real wood?

Do you want it to look like it has a slightly grainy finish? If I recall correctly, those tables at Apple are really really smooth......almost plastic-y in feel.

A decent, solid wood table will probably cost you over $500 on the low end, and far more than that on the high end.

If you just want something that looks like the ones at an Apple Store, then I believe their Mikael line is full of thick, light-coloured wood tables. Technically, it's made from wood. ;)

I didn't know Ikea designed furniture with a target market in mind.

9. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont mind actually the plastic feel to it. im not asking for the fine pine wood from the yellow stone park but a hint of quality in the desk..

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, I think the Apple Store tables are well sanded down. That's why they're so smooth. Some people have a more rough surface on their desk, particularly if they want it to look more 'natural' or 'old style'.

11. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Crap picture, but the desk was cheap (about $300.00) from Crate & Crap (Barrel). Also comes in White.

Attached Files:

• desk.jpg
      desk.jpg
      File size:
      400.1 KB
      Views:
  12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

$300 is cheap? If I'm paying more than $300 for furniture, I better be able to sit, sleep and have sex on it.

13. MaksMommy macrumors newbie

REAL wood desk

SEI HO9144 Quintana Mission Walnut Computer Desk , awesome desk and is real wood, modern and so cool, you can get it on AMAZON, EBAY, HOME DEPOT or BUY.com

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I have a great wooden desk, it's not quite the apple color but that's because its old. It's all natural wood with no stain, a nice drawer with metal handles. But I'm looking for a table like one in tha apple store as well because I need more room. But I do like how my iMac looks on it so it's staying there, also I need a to get a cheap piano. I can't always go downstairs to play so I need a role out one or something to put on there.

16. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

an old roomie of mine had a pretty unique desk (i.e. creative & cheap)
    he bought an old oak door from a salvage/resale shop and refinished it
    then he got a folding leg table from OfficeMax and mounted the door on top to become the new desktop.
    The hole for the doorknob was placed in back and any cables needed were pulled through
    Looked much cooler than how I'm describing it:rolleyes: especially since the total cost was just over 100 bucks for a 6 foot desk