Looking for a special mindmap/brainstorm app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carlsson, Feb 18, 2014.

1. carlsson macrumors regular

carlsson

For several years now, I have looked for a mind map / brainstorm app that has the following criteria:
    - Infinite drawing area. Ie no restrictions on size of the map.
    - "Zoom" / "Focus" function; When clicking on an object that object should be highlighted, it's neighbour (sibling) objects should be somewhat dimmer, and their neighbours should be even dimmer.

Any suggestions? Or do I have to learn to program to get what I want...? :rolleyes:

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Looking for a special mindmap/brainstorm app

Scapple?

MyThoughts - or maybe even Tinderbox?

3. carlsson thread starter macrumors regular

carlsson

Thanks for your interest!

What I try to do is a general Problem/Focus approach. My brain works like this. I want to work with graphical elements and a visual approach. I actually think that this could be a huge hit for the entire market, if done in the right way.

Example; Take a project with parallell tasks. I want to buy a new car.
    Instead of these actions:
    • Project: Buy new car
    Volvo
    Chrysler
    Honda
    Mercedes
    BMW

...I want a picture as the attachment.
    And by clicking on one of the elements would set that as the highlighted, while everything else dims. And so forth.
    (Dim level, and how many levels, should of course be adjusted with a simple setting.)

I want to connect related info to these elements/actions with no restrictions.

There are a lot of good Mindmap apps, but none has the focus/dim thing that I want.
    It's all about focus.

I'll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. onekerato macrumors regular

Try out PersonalBrain from thebrain.com

Thoughts are laid out like a network of nodes, and whenever you click on a node, that becomes the center of the screen, and its connections spread out from the center. You can add notes, attachments, labels, tags etc for each node.

5. carlsson thread starter macrumors regular

carlsson

I tried it some years ago, and it was very close to what I want. It lacked some important stuff, I don't remember exactly what now. And it was programmed in Java or something strange that made it a not-so-nice-mac-experience...

However, I'll look at it again.

Thanks!