Looking For A Spy Clock Camcorder That Is Powered By Wall Outlet

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rs14smith, Aug 24, 2010.

1. rs14smith macrumors regular

Hey all,

I'll be going to college (living in an apartment with a roommate) soon and I have a lot of expensive stuff going along with me, and I also have insurance as well, HOWEVER, I'd love to get a little spy camcorder that records every 24-48 hours what takes place in my room.

Most that I have seen online state how long they record, however, I don't want to have to manually delete the files every time the memory gets full. I want it to continue to overwrite old video as obviously I don't need it.

I just would enjoy the idea of having someway of capturing what is taking place in my room while I'm gone, and have the camcorder hidden as well or in an unexpected place :)

Edit: Also, it would be nice to have it powered by a regular wall outlet instead of just being powered by batteries, as I don't want to have to replace the batteries all the time.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you could get one that sends stuff over the wifi. Send it to a computer hiden in the closed or off side location. Then it it becomes a non issue.

3. rs14smith thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I was thinking of something similar, but not sure what a device like that is called. Do you have a link to a few?

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Guarantee you see a lot of stuff you don't want to see ;)

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Would you care to regale us with your best moments??

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I don't know if this is an awesome idea or a paranoid idea.

I guess it depends on your motives. However, I wish I would have thought of this, because I could have relived the best nights/women of my life, especially the ones I forgot.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Haha...well I've walked in on almost all of my roommates playing 'five-on-one' over the years (boarding school + college), and though I've somehow avoided being caught 'adjusting the antenna' myself, I've been walked in on while enjoying the 'horizontal mambo' my share of times. Certainly wouldn't want to look at tapes of my roommates when they thought nobody was watching...:eek:

That said--a motion activated camera could certainly make better use of time spent recording. With a junker old mac (iBook G3s go for as little as $50 these days and can be hacked to run in lid-closed mode), a firewire cam and BTV you could homebrew yourself a little motion sensitive or timelapsed spycam. I used BTV for a few things back in the day and was generally pleased...though I didn't pay for a license (coughcough).