Looking for a straight forward answer - Restore w/o Update

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dand1996, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dand1996 macrumors regular

Guys -

I know this is very basic but ive been searching around and cant find a straight forward answer to this.

I am on 4.0.1 on iPhone 4. If I want to restore my iPhone for whatever reason, how do I do so without upgrading it to 4.0.2? Will simply clicking restore keep my current firmware on it? Do I need to alter my iTunes host file for Sauriks server?

What is the black and white answer?

Thanks for taking the time.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You must have your SHSH blobs on file with Cydia, your hosts file modded, and you need to shift (windows) / alt (Mac) click the Restore button and select the 4.0.1 firmware bundle or else it'll download the latest version.

3. chargerfan macrumors member

I honestly have no idea what SHSH is, but I did a restore to 4.0.1 yesterday with no problems. I edited the host file and used Umbrella to get my phone out of recovery.

4. w3iiipu macrumors member

i tried restoring my 4.0.1 today but changing host file and restoring from the 4.0.1 ipsw keeps giving me error.
    so i restore the device as new with 4.0.2 and then downgrade it to 4.0.1.

5. dand1996 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont need to edit the host file if Apple is still signing 4.0.1 though right?

I only need to edit the host file to point to Saurik when I want to restore without upgrading and Apple no longer signs for the specific firmware im restoring to, correct?

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Apple stop signing 4.0.1 so you will need to edit host file to Cydia server to install / downgrade using 4.0.1 firmware from now on.

7. dand1996 thread starter macrumors regular

I simply use the default 4.0.1 IPSW file, not a custom one or anything, correct?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Correct.

9. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Yes + pointing your host file to Cydia server.

Your iPhone must be pwned to use any custom firmware. And, since using jailbreakme.com (only current way for iPhone 4 users) doesn't pwned your iPhone, NO custom firmware for you or anyone else using that method.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats all assuming you do have SHSH's saved on cydias server for 4.0.1

11. dand1996 thread starter macrumors regular

Roger that, my shsh are saved! Thanks for all your help guys

12. Mr. Incognito macrumors regular

Can someone explain step by step how I change the host file?

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's probably easier to use TinyUmbrella. Download tiny umbrella, and click advanced mode. Set the version to iPhone 4 4.0.1, and the server to Cydia. Click the button to download the SHSHs. If this is successful (which it should be if your SHSHs were saved on Saurik's server), run the TinyTSS server. Once the server is running, do the restore through iTunes.

Eventually your phone will error out about 95% of the way through the restore. This is normal - when your phone boots up in recovery mode, click the button in TinyUmbrella that says "kick iPhone out of recovery"

14. Mr. Incognito macrumors regular