Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeanne C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive, straight forward, digital camera to photograph items I want to sell online.

I'd prefer to stay in the range of $200-300, but would go up to $400 if there's some sort of feature like "wireless connectivity," which would let me feed everything into this computer through our Airport Extreme Base Station.

I have no clue about the types of software these operations would require.

I'm working with a G5 2.0 GHz Duel Core, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 256 Graphics Card, 2 - 1000 GB HDs, Blue Tooth [Factory Installed], running OS 10.5.8 ... So, I'm looking for something that's "Mac Friendly."

For the most part I want to get some clear photos of books, household items and some occasional pictures of my cat, which would make a model that can deal with motion and take rapid shots nice ... My preference is for a compact point and shoot model, and if it zooms ... great!

I've read many reviews about these things recently, and can't seem to find one that doesn't have someone saying something like "won't accept third party batteries, noisy pictures, won't autofocus, difficult settings, etc."

Some people even suggest current camera models have degraded capabilities compared with former models.

I have also read that people are expecting "something big" with Cannon next month, but that's a lot of idle time.

It looks like folks here know a great deal about these cameras, and anything you can suggest regarding the best course to achieve these objectives will be greatly appreciated.

Jeanne C

Last edited:

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
i dont understand the mac compatible part. A card reader makes them all compatible. im confused on that part. Otherwise, take a look at the Panasonic Lumix line They make some great P&S cameras for basic needs.

dakduel

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
pretty much any Point and Shoots would suit your needs, i would recommend buying an eye-fi card so that the images automatically transfer over wifi to your computer.

Jeanne C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't understand much about the Mac Compatible part, either. I've just been working on my dad's Mac for a couple of months, because he is disabled and wants me to sell some antiquated books and other items he has collected over the years. I've never dealt with digital camera ... computer ... software issues before, so I'll have to look up the definition of "card reader." The camera you mentioned has appeared in many reviews I have seen, so I will definitely give it a closer look, based on your recommendation. Many thanks ...

Jeanne C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
pretty much any Point and Shoots would suit your needs, i would recommend buying an eye-fi card so that the images automatically transfer over wifi to your computer.

Okay ... I've looked at the "Eye-Fi Cards" and that is absolutely the coolest thing ...

I'm thinking that is the card reader peeaanuut mentioned, and I just wanted to make sure I don't run into any Mac "Proprietary" issues.

I see posts here about "iPhoto" and "Aperture," which I guess is software for managing photographs, so I'll have to look at that.

One thing that I noticed in some reviews I read involved a feature called "panoramic photography," which said that photos could be "stitched" together, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with that feature, and a particular camera they regard as being proficient at doing it.

It's one of the more intriguing features I've seen in various reviews.

Thanks again ... Jeanne C

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
a generic USB card reader that works for the type of memory card you have will work just like an external drive. No extra software required. Most readers are multiple devices so you will be hard pressed to find one that doesnt work.

As far as panoramics, uhgh, those are the bain of my existence. Even with a camera that stitches for you, I just cant seem to get them right. They look cool when they are all done, I just cant seem to get them right.

The basics behind stitching is if you took a photo, rotated a few degrees and snapped again, when you put it into photo software that can stitch them it finds common elements of each photo at the edges and overlaps them.

iPhoto is great for the basic photo organizer. Basically just drop and go. You can add keywords for finding stuff easier.

Jeanne C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks peeaanuut

a generic USB card reader that works for the type of memory card you have will work just like an external drive. No extra software required. Most readers are multiple devices so you will be hard pressed to find one that doesnt work.

As far as panoramics, uhgh, those are the bain of my existence.

iPhoto is great for the basic photo organizer. Basically just drop and go. You can add keywords for finding stuff easier.

Sounds like the camera to computer transfers will be pretty intuitive ... and the panoramic features are not a must by any means ...

Ran across this term "RAW" that seems to be a sticking point for some people and haven't quite figured that one out.

Guess I'll put it on top of my list for tomorrow.

The problem I'm having sorting through these cameras is that they all appear to have a significant number of negative reviews ... Even if you find one with 500+ reviews and ratings over 4 stars, there always seems to be about 20% of people who have ongoing problems or who end up with totally inoperable devices, and customer service issues that sound pretty nasty.

Thinking about Costco, which doesn't have a wide selection, but has a 90-day return policy, so you don't get stuck with a $300 'hockey puck' if defects occur before you get to the corporate complaints, shipping, warranty stage.

Anyway, figure I'll sleep on it, and want to thank you again for your help.

Jeanne C

Last edited:

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Sounds like the camera to computer transfers will be pretty intuitive ... and the panoramic features are not a must by any means ...

Ran across this term "RAW" that seems to be a sticking point for some people and haven't quite figured that one out.

RAW basically means the camera doesn't convert it to a usable format for you. For your purpose and price range you don't need RAW. It's only useful if you plan to do SERIOUS post-processing (e.g. professional or enthusiast type of work).

I'd ignore the until you are willing to drop in a few grand into a DSLR and some proper lenses.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I'd also recommend CANON cameras as being pretty straightforward.

For simplest solution, in my opinion, get a standard Ixus point and shoot with a decent memory card. It'll come with a USB cable so you can plug it in and it'll synchronise the photos with iPhoto (which comes standard with most Macs, but if not, you can always buy this software) and it'll help keep everything well organised.

Don't worry about RAW- this is something which only applies to very professional photographers using expensive equipment.

Panoramics never work well either- I've used it with my Canon but to be honest, they always look a bit 'odd'.

Are there any particular camera models you've found?

Jeanne C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks Xeperu & jace88

RAW basically means the camera doesn't convert it to a usable format for you. For your purpose and price range you don't need RAW. It's only useful if you plan to do SERIOUS post-processing (e.g. professional or enthusiast type of work).

I'd ignore the until you are willing to drop in a few grand into a DSLR and some proper lenses.

That's good to know ... as those applications clearly extend beyond my objectives ... So I can scratch that off my list!

One thing I'm still wondering ... is if someone might have an opinion about a particular camera, which may have been a "hot ticket" item in 2009-10, or a model that was simply a "solid performer" that might still be on a shelf somewhere ... perhaps at a reduced price.

Since my photographs will be largely focused upon "staged items in well lit areas" ... and I will have plenty of time to set up or re-adjust objects and lighting ... it doesn't seem like I need the latest ... "cutting edge" model ... [Do Not Need Things Like GPS, Facial Recognition, etc.]

I think the criteria for my primary application could be best summed up as a need for a durable unit that provides clear images of indoor settings with subdued lighting ... We're talking about many "still life scenes" with a camera mounted on a tripod.

The unit I'm looking for wouldn't necessarily need instantaneous "point-and-shoot" characteristics that most people want, but might just be a solid performer that provides "well defined" photographs through an ability to adjust settings. It might have even "ticked" people off a little bit because they had to anticipate things like lighting in advance, but when they got it right they'd be saying "Oh yeah ... that's a great shot."

Many thanks, again ... Jeanne C

Last edited:

Jeanne C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Thank you miles01110

Any camera made in the past 3 or 4 yaers will do just fine for what you need it to. I wouldn't spend more than $150 on a point-and-shoot camera. Look into something like the Canon Powershot ELPH 100 HS or the Powershot A2200.

Both of those cameras look like solid performers, with excellent reviews, at a reasonable price!

The Canon Powershot ELPH 100 HS even has a rapid fps "slow motion" feature, which will be great for getting some shots of a very "high speed" cat that lives with me ...

Looks like $149.95 gets: 12.1 MP CMOS Sensor, 4x Optical Zoom 28-112mm Lens, 28mm Wide-Angle, Optical Image Stabilizer, Improved Low Light/High ISO Photos, Full 1080p HD Video W/Stereo Sound, Hi-Speed Burst Shooting at Up to 8.2fps, Slow Motion Movie Mode--240fps

The Powershot A2200 has 14.1 MP for about $30 less, and equally solid reviews, but the ELPH 100 HS offers a much wider range of features for just a few bucks more.

These are excellent suggestions for my applications ... Might poke around the net another day looking at these things, but I'll likely go for the Powershot ELPH 100 HS ...

Many thanks, again to everyone ...

Jeanne C

Last edited:

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
also, since you are going to be staging the photos, the photos will come out super sharp if you use a tri-pod and the built in timer. Doesnt seem like much but it will make a world of difference.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.