Looking for a SVideo AppleTV Converter aftermarket

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AkronElliott, Dec 23, 2009.

1. AkronElliott macrumors member

Has anyone found an aftermarket for the SVideo AppleTV converter?

I have been searching eBay for used converters.
    Is there any other locations to browse?

2. fpnc macrumors 68000

I don't know about an s-video adapter (would have to go from component or HDMI to s-video which would be kind of strange) but you can force the Apple TV to output composite video (single, yellow RCA plug) with a little workaround that is documented on the web (requires the temporary use of a HDMI to DVI adapter). However, it may be that the v3.0 Apple TV software update has disabled that workaround (search for info on the web, wikipedia suggests that it may not work under the v3.0 software).

3. AkronElliott thread starter macrumors member

Was looking for a used SVideo Converter that I can purchase . Haven't found any on eBay. Was hoping someone may know where to go find a used one. Since people are upgrading to HDTV's this time of year, thought I could give someone money for theirs. Attempting to get a Used TV Tuner and Used ATV from EBay.

4. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I haven't seen a simple stand-alone converter but my Yamaha RX-V861 AV amp can convert between analogue formats. For example, I've sat playing my Xbox 360 connected via component video to the amp with it outputting S-video so I could hook my EyeTV up and use my MacBook Pro as a screen on my lap (my wife was watching Eastenders). This only works if the component output is set to 480i (ATV supports this) as the amp won't convert the field/frame structure. In the case of the Xbox 360 there is a handy switch on the side of the AV adapter which switches between HDTV and SDTV so that was all I needed to do.

Of course, the amp wasn't cheap but it does have lots of nice features like HDMI upscaling so all my video sources (SVHS, ATV, TiVo, Xbox 360, PS2, Wii, Blu-ray, LD/DVD) can all be sent to my HD projector over a single HDMI. The component to S-Video thing just happens to be a convenient extra feature.

5. fpnc macrumors 68000

My point was that there may not be anything like an HDMI or component video to s-video adapter whether used or new (either that or such a converted may be fairly rare and difficult to find). In either case, that type of conversion could be fairly expensive.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you want to attach to an Apple TV using s-video that could be a problem since the Apple TV officially supports only component and HDMI outputs. That's why I suggested looking at the "hack" that enables composite video output from the Apple TV. Once you have composite output enabled it is fairly easy and cheap to convert to an s-video type connection (although you won't get the true benefits of the native s-video signals).

6. AkronElliott thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I should have posted the link to the product? The company that manufactures and sells the converter is called SVideo. It is component-in and composite-out.

Here is the Link: http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html

From feedback this converter works well. Just attempting to find a used one instead of paying the full $159 retail price.

I thought I would be better off selling this in a few years rather than stuck with that adapter that may not be used again and the steps of resynching the color each time it is powered on. I think I can still find used SD Tv's and wait longer for the price of HD TV.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ The only problem is that the output is "squished" as it tries to display 16:9 on a 4:3. There's obviously no setting in AppleTV to output to 4:3 since the 4:3 sets that have Component are able to "squish" it back to 16:9 via a letterbox setting. On a regular 4:3 set with only S-Vid or composite - there's obviously no such setting

8. AkronElliott thread starter macrumors member

I may go with http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION 330.asp

Has VGA output and with XBMC running I can hard wire it with ethernet.
    Already have a PC and a Mac, I don't want to spend the money on the mini just to stream video to.

Edit: Price considered ($458 USD) this is not much of an advantage over a mini or used mini.
    Rethinking the HDTV and just using a mini.

May opt to a used HDTV and used Mini.