Looking for a Taskmanager app that allows planning

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slneu87, Oct 12, 2011.

1. slneu87 macrumors newbie

In the last years I have tried out almost every Taskplaner that is out there. Things, Todo, OmniFocus, Outlook, The Hitlist and dozens webbased solutions.
    I have finally started to use OmniFocus but even if this program is in my opinion most likely the best in comparison to the other big it doesn't satisfy my needs.

I am actually looking for a taskmanager that looks nice, has a desktop version as well as iPhone or at least iPad version that are cloud syncable.
    So thats quite easy to satisfy so far since the previously mentioned apps already cover these requirements.
    But the most important thing is a specific function that I haven't seen so far in any taskmanager program:
    I basically need a program like Omnifocus plus Calendar. I would like you to explain how this works by a Use Case: I have something like 250 remaining task in OmniFocus that are within around 20 different projects. I need nothing else than a calendar view that allows me to plan my next days.
    This calendar view could look like this: On the left side of the screen you have all remaining tasks (where the start date is earlier than today) that can be ordered by project, due date, estimated duration and stuff like that (quite straight forward). On the right side you have a day or better a week calender. This calendar should be able to read from iCal in order to be able to show the free slots. By using drag and drop you can now plan when to do which task. When selecting a task from the left sidebar, the possible time slots get highlighted (if a due date is set, the days after this due date are grayed out, if an estimated duration is set, than the slots that are too small are greyed out). Once you have droped a task to the calendar it disappears from the left side bar. Tasks that were planned but not marked as checked after the planned date should be highlighted in the left bar in order to indicated: Here is something you forgot or you haven't been able to do. One thing is important to make clear: The taskmanager should NOT implement its own calendar by simply display the normal iCal (or Google Calendar or whatever) and then create events directly in this calendar. Otherwise it is useless.
    Okay, please don't come up now and tell me that I could use

My question is: Do you know a good(!) taskmanager that has this function? It might be that there is somewhere out there a small tool that works like that, but these small tools normally have reasons why I wouldn't use them. For instance because they look crappy, they cannot sync with an iPhone app or they just offer a simple checklist. No, this function has to be embedded in a good taskmanager program that already offers the basic functions such as projects, sync, repeating task and stuff like that.

Since I already tried out every good taskmanager program out there I fear that there is no program that has this function. And I have to admit that I don't understand why not! The function is basically easy to integrate since tasks only have to get a new attribute that is called planned to do on ... at ... And there has to be an interface for the planning part of course.

Thanks for answers and best regards.

2. bagboy macrumors newbie

I am looking for something similar. I want drag and drop tasks from ( a task list program like OmniFocus for instance) and a calender.
    Desk top and device sync.
    Ideally a combined task and iCal will do it for me.