Looking for a torrent client with specific features

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LoneWolf121188, Jun 7, 2007.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Hi all, new here. Just got myself a brand-spankin' new MBP (15", 2.4 GHz) and I love it. I've been using OSX on the machines at school but this is the first Apple I've owned.

Question: My favorite BT client on windows was uTorrent. One of the awesome features about that was that you didn't have to download the whole torrent. When you started the torrent up, it gave you a box asking which files within the torrent you actually wanted to download. Does anyone know of a good BT client for OSX that can do that?

2. thekiller macrumors member

try Transmission, it's basic and works great.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes, it's basic — no selective downloading. :) Azureus is the only Mac torrent client I know of that offers selective downloading. In fact uTorrent and Azureus are extremely similar so you should feel right at home.

I think they might be working on a Mac port of uTorrent, but that's a ways off if ever.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Sadly, Azureus is really the only option for "advanced" torrenting on the Mac. Other options are smaller, sleeker, and less resource intensive but pale in feature-list comparisons.

Oh well. I use Transmission, personally; works great for me.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why they don't add that I truly don't know.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've rumors to the effect that it's coming in a future release, but they certainly don't seem to see it as a priority. I'm guessing they see it as an "advanced" (read: bloaty) feature and are just being sluggish in implementing it....personally, I'd never use it.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u can still use uTorrent through crossover, but mac version of crossover is very slow on my MB. weird

8. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Azureus works great, thanks!

9. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

the new nightlies of transmission have selective downloading, and torrent creation!

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

bloaty? :rolleyes: i call that vital...

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

when you say "selective downloading" you mean being able to choose part of a file from a torrent...right?

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, and new version of transmission just added the support for selective downloading, so its so far the best option on OSX unless u want to create torrent

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow thats a really awsome feature. i might have to stop using bits on wheels and start using this!!