Looking for a travel tripod for HDR using D5000 Nikon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Jun 21, 2010.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

I am looking for a tripod to hold my D5000 but want to take with me on short trips......

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

Budget? Weight? Height required?

Start with this for a good overview, get back to us with details and people may be able to help.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

What works best for me may be terrible for you.

The ultrashort version of tripod selection is:
    1)cheap
    2)light
    3)stable/sturdy
    Pick any 2

3. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

+1 on what jampat said, fwiw I spent $400-ish USD for travel tripod carbon fiber FEISOL CT-3441S tripod with CB-40D Ball Head, very happy with it.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=920291&highlight=

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

My legs costs me $180. They are not carbon fiber, but I didn't want to spend another $200 for legs at the moment. My head cost me $150. It is a decent head. I have had it for 7 years. It is a pistol grip head, which I have grown accustomed to. I don't think i could get used to the pan head or whatnot.

If you want cheap (walbogs cheap), you probably could get away with what you have. With a kit lens and that body, the weight would probably be under 2LBS.
    My body+ lens weighs 3LBS or a bit more. Remember to look at what the legs and the head you chose can handle. You want something you grow into. I think my legs are rated for 14lbs and the head for 11lbs or so.

The 1DS2 I want to get this fall weighs about 3lbs by itself. If i ever find myself using a 600mm f/4L, i will need to buy a new tripod..

Get the best you can afford.