Looking for a tv.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Firestar, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

So, as the title says, I'm looking for a tv. I'm also looking for this tv to double as a monitor. Currently, I'm thinking around 26" to 32" would be good (would that be bad for use as a monitor?). 720p or 1080p doesn't really matter, I couldn't tell enough difference to constitute the extra. I have a couple brands in mind I'd like to stick to (Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Toshiba, LG) but I'm open to suggestions. Display type doesn't really matter to me (unless there's something of importance I'm missing in this area).

Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $300. (I'll likely be buying used or refurb.)

I was looking at this but the reviews say it doesn't function well as a monitor (blurry text) and you'd need to fix it by messing around with your graphic card (which I don't have, I have integrated graphics [it is possible that they will be replaced]), so I'm kind of leaning away from it.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

As long as you're asking for opinions, here's mine - using a TV for a monitor is a bad idea. The pixels are too large and far apart to make good use of the screen real estate - imagine blowing up a 13" MacBook screen to 32 inches, it would look like that - same number of pixels and all.

Your budget seems to be a tiny bit low for a TV that size, but I've seen some 32" models for right at $300.

3. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

So I've heard. :/
    Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the 26" scale for size. I've been looking at sales on eBay and a 32" just sold for $225 (refurb/open box).

4. 184550 Guest

I like Vizio and I recall seeing a couple at my local Wal-Mart in the $200 to $300 range. I believe they were from the LED Razor line in 22 inch and 26 inch varieties.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How would you use it as an external monitor (i.e. watching videos, gaming or using it for everyday tasks)? I have a 32" 720p Sony connected to my desktop but it's only good for watching videos (and to be honest, that's what I need it for, have 2x23" anyway). If you're using it for everyday stuff, then definitely get 1080p and stick with smaller than 30". 1080p 27" is still usable IMO, even when sitting close, but 32" is starting to be a stretch.

6. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

Likely videos/movies and surfing the web. Currently, I'm actually leaning more towards 23"-26".

Thanks!