looking for a vertical stand for aluminum macbook. heat problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nigelly, Sep 26, 2010.

1. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

I have an aluminum macbook and I just bought a monitor for it. I want to have the macbook closed on a vertical stand but I am concerned about heat problems. Does anyone use their macbook on the vertical stand most of the time and if so do you encounter any heat problems? and are there any stands out there that cool it as well so you don't have to worry about over heating? thanks!

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Get the BookArc and don't worry about the heat. I don't have the stand but I use mine in clamshell mode all of the time.

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I use a stand but with no external display, and even though my computer does get hot (it always does) you don't need to worry about the heat. They're designed to cope with that kind of thing, even in clamshell mode.

That BookArc stand looks amazing; it looks similar to an iPad stand I saw somewhere. Very stylish.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MacBook and MacBook Pro vents are located in the rear, near the hinge. They are designed to operate well in clamshell mode, so there are no heat issues with running them closed.

5. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

nigelly

When I leave the macbook closed and running it gets a big cloudy blotch in the middle of the screen which dissipates a few seconds after the lid is opened, which can only lead me to believe its from the heat, has anyone else noticed this?

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Are you in a humid climate? I've never see that with my MacBook when using it in clamshell mode.

7. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I would have recommended henge docks, but i have been waiting since fricken february for them to release them!