Looking for a video camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sdahe, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello,

I want to buy a video camera and I'm not so familiar with what is good out there. I have a friend that has a GoPro 2 and it seems nice but I would like to see other alternatives. What would you recommend?

Thanks!!

PS.. just want opinions or feedbacks on video cameras.. thanks!!!

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

3. floh macrumors 6502

Also: What do you want to use it for?

The mentioned GoPro for example is great for very rough usage. It is water proof and shock resistent. People often mount it to their helmet or car when doing crazy stunts...
    But if you don't need that sort of thing, there are much better quality cameras out there for the same price.

4. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

$350

5. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I want an all around camera..

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I always recommend Canon, look at the VIXIA HF R30 and R300.

7. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I just got the GoPro Hero 2.... so far its very nice

8. floh macrumors 6502

Seems like you didn't need our help after all...

In my opinion though, if you are not doing some seriously rough things with the camera, like getting it wet or dropping it, the GoPro is really not what I would have picked...

The main problem is that you have no display and basically nothing that you can adjust in any way. You just point in the general direction and hope that it will look nice later.

The video quality of the GoPro is alright (obviously not the best), but it has no Zoom lens, just a very wide angle. You don't want to ever use it inside in low light (yes, your normal ceiling light is a low light situation) since it will produce mainly noise.

The audio you can basically throw away or only use as a reference for synchronization.

Try out all that stuff and maybe even check out another camera (Canon and Panasonic are good candidates). I don't want you to regret your choice if you ever see someone else with a cheaper camcorder that is much more comfortable and produces much better images but you simply shouldn't treat it like a tennis ball...

I guess you can return the GoPro still, so try it out while that period lasts!

9. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thanks.. what I like about the GoPro is the versatility. I can use it almost anywhere. I go to the beach and take it with me in the water... I can attach it to my bike.. I can attach it to my Kayak... I can leave the camera anywhere doing a timelapse and don't have to worry about the camera getting wet if it rains... etc...

I have 14 days to try it out so lets see what happens.

10. floh macrumors 6502

If that's what you meant by "all-round camera", you definitely got the right model. To go kayaking, biking or swimming with, I don't think there's a better model. For such purposes, the GoPro Hero 2 is definitely the way to go.

So go and have fun with it. If you want to do more video inside or where you like more manual adjustments or better control, I would probably recommend you to get a second camera. Sadly, you can't get a really decent camera with weather and shock proof housing at this price.

Go shoot some cool sports scenes!

11. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thanks... later on when I get a decent shot.. I'll post it here. ;)