Looking for a video merging app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EvanAgee, May 9, 2007.

1. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

Hello all,

I'm looking for a simple app that can take two video files of the same encoding settings/formats and combine them into one file of the same format/settings.

For example, I have two video files and both are encoded at 1500Kbps with 160Bit sound and they're both the same dimensions. I need an app that will combine those two files into one file that's 1500Kbps, 160Bit sound, etc...

Anyone have any ideas of apps that might do this? They're .MP4 files.

2. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

hmm, I was going to say to do something like:

cat firstfile.mpg secondfile.mpg > concatenatedfile.mpg

on a terminal.. but.. I dont think mp4 files can be done that way...
    you could try... just careful on the names or you will write on top of your originals.... just back them up :)

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

4. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

Thanks! It appears to be working, it's churning away right now. I'll let you know.

5. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

That's odd. The resulting file is approximately the size of the two original files combined but it appears to have the exact same contents as the first file.

6. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

check the video to see if it's actually working or just making the file bigger :D . I know other mpegs can be joined like that, but I'm not sure about the mp4 ones... hope it works tho

7. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

hehe.. I was replying when you also replied.. too bad.. according to something I just read, it wont work because mp4 have global values that wont be joined..

so I guess imovie is the way to go

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

yah these things cant just be mashed together, they need to be uncompressed edited together and then be compressed together.

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

You could try VisualHub. It costs money, but if its something you do frequently, it is really worth it.