Looking for a way to help my 90 year old mother

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geosar, Nov 2, 2010.

1. geosar macrumors newbie

I live in Az, she is in DC. She has a MacBook os 10.4 and I have a MacBook pro os 10.6.

Her settings get out of synch occasionally and I am wondering if there is a program which would enable me to log on to her computer and adjust the mail or Internet preferences for example instead of trying to talk her through it.

I looked at Slink but her computer is too old.

Thank you in advance.

George

2. Zerozal macrumors 6502

iChat can do that, but I'm not sure if it is supported on Tiger.

3. geosar thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I want to actually enter her computer from a distance and actually adjust her preferences like in was at the keyboard. I don't think iChat will allow me do that.
    Thank you for the rapid response.

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

5. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Good God people he's not looking to chat. He want's some type of VNC program that will allow him to access a remote computer.

6. geosar thread starter macrumors newbie

These are communication programs. Am I able to program her computer through a skype? I just thought in can talk via iChat and skype.

Thank you again

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

both ichat and skype will allow for this service, commonly referred to as "screen sharing"

8. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Then I stand corrected :cool:

9. geosar thread starter macrumors newbie

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

Yeah it works fairly well in ichat. I screen share all the time with my family at home (i am away at college) because they are for the most part technology inept. Really helps when they are in a pinch

11. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

My son & daughter used Skype for screen sharing a lot last summer. Worked great. And they even could do video while "sharing the screen".

Tried iChat, but had too much trouble.
    I can track down more details if you would like?

12. geosar thread starter macrumors newbie

This is great data. I will go home and see if I can find screen sharing on either iChat or skype. I am on my iPad now so I need to get to my MacBook pro.

These are great suggestions which i obviously had no clue about.

More to follow if I can navigate the skype application.

Thank you so much

George

13. geosar thread starter macrumors newbie

Well skype has been successfully registered, I did catch a glimpse of her screen before she hit something and blanked it out. With skype, It appears that I can see the screen but I cannot do anything on the screen of the remote computer. Is that correct?

So in order to troubleshoot i will have to watch her point and click and then evaluate.

Thank you for all of the help . I am supposing that screen sharing is a passive activity.

George

14. van2010rulz macrumors regular

Skype's screen sharing does not allow you to control the screen. You can only see what the person is seeing. It's more or less for "hey have you seen this?" I used it with my friend for a while just to see what we were doing. I'm using a PC right now, but I am a long time Skype user. I don't know if this will help. It is quite pricey. For $299 CDN you can get Apple's Remote desktop service. I don't know if it will work. Never used a remote desktop program. Look for one online see what you get. Might not be very secure though. Just a thought.

15. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I've been using LogMeIn.com for years now. Just sign up for the free version.

16. geosar thread starter macrumors newbie

Both great suggestions.

On it.

More to follow.

Thank you so much for the help.

17. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

iChat's screen sharing will let you control her screen.

I'm not sure of the cross-compatibility between 10.4 and 10.6, though.

You could also enable screen sharing on her side under System Preferences and manually vnc through the Finder->Go if you don't want to go through iChat.