Looking for a way to install 8.1 on mbp 6,2

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dreadkopp, Dec 8, 2014.

1. dreadkopp, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

dreadkopp macrumors newbie

Aloha community,

I am running a mbp 6,2. I switched the SuperDrive for an additional hard drive.

Now I am trying to install win 8.1 on it.

I managed to create a bootable USB after editing the info.plist of boot camp manager.

I want to install windows on my second hard drive.

When I use boot camp after reboot the screen is grey for about a minute and the I am prompted with "no bootable device found......"

If I am informed correctly that happens because the emulated bios is just looking for install media at the SuperDrive (which does not exist anymore)

I also managed to install win 8.1 in efi mode by holding option at boot an choosing "efi-boot" (my USB stick, there are no other options other than that and my OS X install)

Due to the fact that the efi of my mbp is not compatible this quickly leads to unrepairable blue screen.

Is there any way to install windows on my mbp?

(Unless buying an external case for my fist hdd and a new SuperDrive?)

Edit: I read that holding C tells the mbp to boot from USB but is not working for me.

Also I read that there is some way to get it to work using VMware fusion and refit. Can someone explain the procedure to me?

I really hope you guys can help me. Virtualization is not an option due to the lack of vga passthrough.

Greetings!

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If using a VM is not an option, your only choice left is to put the Superdrive back in. Hope you held on to it after replacing.

3. dreadkopp thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn. Of course not because who needs optical drives today? DVDs are just unhandy and get scratches etc. that really sucks. What the hell was wrong with Apple when they implemented that? It's cheaper for me to buy a second notebook than to buy a new SuperDrive + an external case for my hdd + empty DVDs.

4. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The limitations in Apple's EFI implementation prohibit booting of a Windows DVD/USB from any external source.

6. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Did not know that.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Unless the Mac in question didn't originally have an optical drive, like the rMBPs, MBAs and Ivy Bridge and later iMacs.

On such Macs, Boot Camp Assistant will create a Windows USB installer for the user.