Looking for a way to install Snow Leopard on a Macbook w/ a broken Combo Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by campbesd, May 16, 2010.

1. campbesd macrumors newbie

New to the site, hope someone here can help me out. I've been searching but I can't find anywhere where my specific problem is answered.

Short version: Does Remote Disc work in Tiger (10.4.11)?

Long version:

I have the following:

Macbook running 10.4.11; busted DVD drive
    PC running Win7 w/ Firewire port
    Snow Leopard install disc

I'd like to get Remote Disc running on my laptop and install over the network (using my Win7 PC). I've done the terminal hack which is supposed to enable Remote Disc on MacBooks. However, Remote disc doesn't show up in my finder (not sure that 10.4.11 has a place for it to show). Does Remote disc work with Tiger-Macbooks? Or do you need Leopard?

If Remote Disc won't work, can a Win7 PC install Snow Leopard via firewire to a Mac?

If possible, I'd like to avoid buying an external DVD drive, as it appears Remote Disc will work in Snow Leopard. Don't have a firewire cable on me but I could buy one -- just want to be sure it will work before I waste the money.

Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Yaris macrumors regular

If you have an 8GB or larger flash drive (or a partition on an external harddrive big enough) you can use disk utility make an image of the Snow Leopard disk and restore it to the flash drive. When you mount the flash drive on the MacBook it will appear to be the snow leopard DVD.

3. campbesd thread starter macrumors newbie

Wish I could do that -- my macbook is the only working mac to which I have access.

I've formatted my external hard drive as a GUID drive. Currently trying to rip the Snow Leopard install disk to the hard drive using windows. As is the case with many functions, it's not nearly so easy to do in Windows as it is with Mac.