Looking for a way to sync iTunes libraries via SFTP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rogersmj, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm trying to find the best solution to have a full copy of my iTunes library from my home Mac synced to my MacBook Pro, no matter where I am (meaning I need it to work not just when I'm home on my LAN, but from anywhere. Yes, I have SSH access punched through to my home machine). I want true synchronization, meaning if I add/delete/rate/edit metadata on my MBP, I want those changes to show up on the Mac at home.

I've found software like SuperSync, Syncopation, Slingshot, etc, that appear to do at least some of this on a local network, but I haven't found one yet (or I can't tell from their product pages) that is seamless, automatic, and works over an SSH/SFTP connection if necessary. Does anyone do this? Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Cyberduck might work for your needs. The one thing it doesn't do is automatic synchronization. It handles everything else you need, though.

3. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Thanks, but I've got Transmit, I don't need Cyberduck. I know how to setup automatic FTP synchronizations of regular files, but Transmit isn't smart enough to examine all the iTunes metadata and properly merge them. That's why there's a market for those other programs I listed, I suppose. I'm just looking for someone who actually does this to offer some advice from their personal experience.