Looking for a Web Cam

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by madsci954, Nov 20, 2013.

1. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm looking to get a new Mac Mini in the near future, and I want to buy a web cam to use for Skype and FaceTime. I'm having a hard time as the ones that look good don't say they are compatible for Mac. I really like the Logitech C920 model, but it says it doesn't work on Mac. Can anyone recommend a good web cam that will work on Mac?

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've read of plenty of people who have used the C920 on macs.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I managed to get my hands on a C920 because I was curious as to how well it worked with Macs. Here's what I've found so far:

1. In Message, when I click preferences and the Audio/Video tab, the C920 immediately becomes active. The spectrum analyzer that lights up with the mic detects audio is also active. Everything seems to be working perfectly.

* None of my friends use video chat so I haven't be able to test it in an actual video chat.

2. In QuickTime, I was able to do a quick little recording. Video and audio both worked perfectly.

3. Photo Booth seemed to work perfectly.

All of this was done using just the built-in OS X drivers. No additional software was installed. Once I plugged the C920 in to an available USB port, it started working right away.

The image quality, in my opinion, is far superior to my old original Firewire iSight. The image (again, in my opinion) is sharper, less grainy, and brighter. There is no discernible difference in audio quality between the C920 and Firewire iSight, but, admittedly, I have never been confused with an audiophile.

I'm going to hang on to the C920 for a few days before returning it to my buddy. Feel free to ask me to test for compatibility, I'll try to help where I can.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Even though Logitech makes no mention of it, their Logitech Camera Settings app works with the C920. The best part is that it's free and available from the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logitech-camera-settings/id638332853?mt=12

This app allows you to adjust zoom, focus, and various quality settings.

The more I play with the C920, the more impressed I am with it.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

7. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

Just +1 on the Logitech C920. Great web cam. Works wonderfully on mac and windows.

As someone mentioned previously, you can download the logitech app in the apple app store and configure the device. My mac recognized it right away.

Video quality is superb. My skype video chats are more vivid and have more clarity than the cam built in my 2011 MBP. I haven't tested the built in audio mic, since I use headphones with mic.

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I tested the C920 in FaceTime with a friend and she said image quality and audio quality were excellent. She also said there were no sync issues.

9. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

Just bought the cheap Logitech C270 and works out of the box without software or drivers on my new Mac Mini running Mavericks. So far tried it with iMessages / FaceTime and Microsoft Lync and either video and microphone work fine. On the box, there is no mention of Mac OS but it works.

10. sauria macrumors regular

Do you use the Logitech software with the C910? Thanks.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No I didn't use the Logitech software when I installed C910. It didn't ask to install software. :apple:

12. sauria macrumors regular

Thanks, I guess it just works with Mavericks?

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Not sure about Maverick, last time I tried c910 was Mountain Lion. :apple:

14. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

The C920 works fine on mine. My only issue is that for reasons unknown the Mac forgets the microphone settings in Facetime.

15. sauria macrumors regular

Okay, thanks.

16. sauria macrumors regular

C910 seems fine with Photo Booth and FaceTime on Mavericks. I did not install any software.

----------

Anyone here try the Webcam Settings app in the Apple app store? Does it do good things that you need? Thanks.