Looking for a wifi connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebird3, Nov 30, 2013.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

Hi, my gf just gave me an iPod. I need a wifi set up so I could use it. I've never had a router, currently my computer is connected to cable.

I'm also hoping to get a Mac book pro sometime later on when the money is ready..... For now, I need a basic? Set up for wifi connection and thinking about going to a Walmart or best buy.

Can you recommend me what to buy? I know the apple router is expensive ( both old / new models).

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

AirPort express can be had refurbished from Apple cheaply enough. Nice little router AP.

3. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Will it work with the Mac book pro retina (the newest models) that has just been released?

Those are around $100.... I see linksys ac 900 / EA 6200 dual band for $70. What do you know of this one?

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes, it can. Wireless is a standard which most macs that existed after it was created can support. Any new Mac will be backwards comparable with any network created years ago. That was the idea behind it being a standard, so anything can connect to it that adhere to the standard so that it “just works” and be useful.

5. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Just got one.
    The instruction says it has wireless network name, and wireless password. But it's kinda long and strange to memorize....then, it can be changed to
    1. Wireless network name ( SSID)
    2. Wireless network password
    3. Router password

Why three? Also what's typical, i mean smart names ( password, etc). for router for security concern?

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

Number one is not a password - it's an identifier so that you distinguish your network from others.

The second is like a pass to get through the door at a private club. You need that to make sure you can control access to prevent bad guys from accessing your network and spying on you. This is very important.

Finally a router password is needed to protect the physical router so people on your network can't change how it works

7. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thank you so much kindly.

8. bluebird3, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

9. pdjudd macrumors 601

IE 8 is Windows only. MS used to develop a version of IE for Mac but it has long been discontinued.

However you don’t actually need it - it supports other browsers. You might not be able to use their smart wizard, but you can set it up manually.

It is always possible that the software for your router might be too new for your computer. but that shouldn’t be the case... That article is not very clear since IE 8 was never made for the Mac OS. I think it stopped at version 5.

10. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you again. I was able to connect it after all. I ended up using an ipod and was able to set everything up.