Looking for a Windows laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleDApp, Dec 1, 2013.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I'm looking for a Windows laptop for when I'm out. Not looking for anything special. Just having a hard time finding stores that carry netbooks.

Here are my criteria

Inexpensive <350$
    Light 2-3lbs
    Dual core minimum
    screen size between 10.1 and 14"
    HDD/SDD at least 100gb

Any advice is great. Thank you.

2. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

http://www.pcmag.com might be a better choice

Did you know this is an Apple Mac site?

3. MarvelouzV macrumors member

4. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

5. JAT macrumors 603

Netbooks are trash. They are underpowered and usually come with a version of Windows that won't let you do anything. They've also been basically replaced in the marketplace by tablets since the people buying them only needed some simple internet access, which is what tablets are good at. I've owned 3 netbooks, and I say: stay away.

Cheap Win laptops exist, but remember you get what you pay for. This is Cyber Monday. Maybe check out tigerdirect.com or newegg.com to try to find a nice deal in your range on a decent Asus or HP. (decent is a relative term in this paragraph)

6. AppleDApp, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Have you used netbooks recently? The newer options seem to have full windows 8 some even come with office for free.

I just need something light & basic for browsing and coding when I am away from home.

Asus seem to be the only one making netbooks The X102BA looks good.

2gb of RAM
    320gb of HDD
    AMD A4 CPU
    10 inch screen
    windows 8

1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
    1 x USB 3.0 port(s)
    2 x USB 2.0 port(s)
    1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    1 x HDMI
    1 x SD card reader
    for 300$

Thoughts?

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I saw some cheap >$400 windows laptops on newegg and best buy, so you should check them out. There are some Asus and Lenovo laptops that you'll find in your range. You can also take a look at the chromebook if your usage is really basic.

8. JAT, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

JAT macrumors 603

Problem area, IMO.

But no, I haven't used one, so that isn't an experienced opinion. If you are going to go for a processor like this, just look at a tablet. Frankly, this one basically is a tablet, that doesn't separate from its keyboard.

I mean, I haven't used one in 1.5 years or something like that. Or that particular cpu.

9. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Thanks for the advice i'll have to try it out in stores

10. chabig macrumors 68040

You seem more than familiar enough with the state of Windows netbooks to answer your own question.

11. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

you are right I am installing all the updates and some basic software from ninite. CPU and memory are at 80%+ use all the time

12. Dourn macrumors newbie

It would probably help if you let us know what you need it for - what apps do you run? What do you do with it at home i.e. will you plug it into a keyboard and a larger screen? Do you have a tablet at home that you use for general web browsing/photos movies, or is this the only computer you'll have? How often are you away from a power source? Is CPU power or battery life more important? Do you need a discrete GPU? (unlikely in a netbook-class computer I'd imagine).

Also, how long are you planning to keep it for? Sure, there's a premium on a Mac, but when you take into account the resale price in 18 months time, it doesn't look so bad (compare that to the resale value of an Asus or Dell etc in 18 months time).

I have a new rMBP, and yet use it to chiefly run Windows, as I do windows development. Some may question the use of Apple hardware to run windows, but Apple's hardware is well built (generally) and they have crazy resale values - so assuming I resell it in 18 months, it's actually cost me less than a corresponding Windows laptop. Plus I like OSX and 11 hours of battery life when not working :)

PS: I'm sure there's a chinese proverb that says something along the lines of "not all macrumors newbies are newbies to macrumors"... :)

13. Dourn macrumors newbie

I'd argue that this is an Apple Mac site, but not an OSX site ;-)
    Nothing inherently wrong with running Windows on an Apple Mac!

14. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Mostly these
    • Internet Explorer
    • Putty
    • Dropbox
    • some light Office
    • Python
    • Eclipse
    • Notepad++
    • TeamViewer
    • Chrome

15. three macrumors 6502a

three

I purchased a Asus Q301LA (Best Buy's version of the S301LA) about a month ago. It's above the price you wanted, but for the price it's a really great laptop. It's got a 13" touchscreen, Haswell Core i5 at 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB HD for $599. The only possible downside is the HD 4400 graphics, which are good enough for internet browsing and light gaming but nothing too intensive.

Just a suggestion for you.

16. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Great thanks for the suggestion. Seems like a good option. How is battery life? Best Buy seems to say about 4.5 hours.

At 599$ it is pretty pricey.

17. three macrumors 6502a

three

Battery life seems to last me about 4.5 to 5 hours. Depending on usage. I wish it was cheaper, I'd recommend this laptop to anyone!

18. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

19. wwynne23 macrumors newbie

20. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

If I had to get something very cheap, I would go for a Windows 8 Tablet. I don't know if you can get all the apps you need, but if you find a cheap one with the possibility of a connected keyboard, you're golden son. Golden.

21. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I couldn't find a full windows 8 tablet with a keyboard for less then 500$.

This is out of my budget.

22. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Seems like I will have to spend more to get something worth using. If I want an ultrabook my best option is a Macbook air with Windows in Bootcamp. This would go well with my iMac.

Or get something like the Lenovo X240 which configured the same way cost about 1000$ before taxes and warranty.

23. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

24. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

25. wwynne23 macrumors newbie

If anyone finds a windows 8 tablet under 500, please let us know