Looking for a wireless harddrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jomskylark, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Jomskylark macrumors regular

Hi there,

I used the search feature and found some good threads but I'm not harddrive savvy, if you know what I mean.

I am looking for a harddrive that fits the following requirements:

- Multiple ports to attach computers to
    - Wireless & not wireless compatible
    - Good size (amount of space) yet relatively cheap (under $200? Don't know if that's unreasonable)

I'm not looking to back-up files, but just get more room. I don't know if this is possible. So when I open up a Finder window and look on the bottom and it tells me how much space on the computer there is, it won't be 1 GB and it will be ###GB. Understand?

Thanks!

EDIT: If it helps, it's for a group of Macs.

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

What you want is a NAS (network attached storage). Plug into your router via Ethernet and it looks like a network drive to any Mac using that router either wired or wireless. Your other option is to get an airport extreme router + any usb2 disk. Plug disk into the airport's USB port then turn on the "airdisk" feature and you get a cheap NAS.

Edit to add: under $200 might be unreasonable for a good size drive + router. Also you have yet another option and simply get a USB/Firewire drive and plug it into one of your macs and turn sharing on. Then all macs on the network could see it. Downside is you have to have the mac with the drive on all the time and I'm pretty sure performance gets impacted when other people are use that disk.