Looking for Academic Organization App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ShiftyPig, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ShiftyPig macrumors 6502a

Ronseal - trying to find something to help keep things straight in law school, hopefully something with a sister iPhone app I can sync with the OS X version.

Considering Things, but not sure if 1) it is the best or 2) it is properly suited for academic organization. Thanks for any advice.

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Only one I have ever tried is called personal brain but I dont think there is anything for iphone connected with that. Also not sure if that is really what you are looking for. Just thought I would add something I guess.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'm not sure if its properly suited for academic organization but since it won the apple design award it has to be good. It probably will work fine just looking at some of the features and the interface on their website. You could download the trial and test it out for a bit to decide if it will work for you.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

What do you mean, like a GTD/Task management program?

I use omnifocus. It's available for OS X and runs on the iPhone also. The price isn't cheap (40 dollars for the desktop version with student discount) + 20 dollars for the iPhone version, but it allows sync via FTP, Bonjour, MobileMe and CalDev I think. The sync is amazing and the program works like no other. Alot of control for those who know how to utilize the GTD system.

If you want a asset management program(for like papers and stuff), devonthink will be able to do what you want but it too isn't very cheap.

5. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I use an app called Schoolhouse to organize my schoolwork.
    It lets you keep track of your course schedule, professors, group projects, grades, tasks, etc, etc, and so on and so forth.
    It's freeware, too, which is why I like it.

download Schoolhouse from Apple website

6. ShiftyPig thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the ideas - I didn't really know where to look, time to try a few out.

Schoolhouse looks tempting - I'm thinking the $50 I could save using that would be put to better use getting the Black's Law Dictionary iPhone app.

Edit to add: I think the related iPhone app is a luxury, syncing to iCal is probably sufficient.

7. joshbing macrumors member

joshbing

I have used schoolhouse as well and I think it is a great app.

a academic app that runs on mac and iphone is iprocrastinate. I think it is developed by a macrumors member too.
    check it out: www.craigotis.com

8. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman