Looking for advice (Coming from Android)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdebuhr, Sep 8, 2015.

1. jdebuhr, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

jdebuhr macrumors newbie

jdebuhr

Hello all!!

I am looking more seriously at switching from my Android (Motorola Turbo) to an iPhone 6s Plus, once released

I am looking for information from those that switched from Android as to what I might miss (and what I won't miss) by switching.

One of my reasons is the fact of the Family sharing of iTunes/Apps) my wife has an iPhone 5s, my son desperately wants an iPhone 6, my daughter has an iPod touch(4th gen), I have her old iPod 3rd gen and I have an even older iPod 60gb (Classic) I rarely use the iPods.

Anyway.. If most of my Family is on iOS, thinking maybe it is time to switch.. just need some help understanding some of the features I will be getting vs what I will be leaving

THANKS

2. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I came from the 2014 Moto X, so I was pretty close to you with the Turbo. Things you might miss... I feel like the actual screen size to phone surface area is something that could throw you off as the iPhone 6+ has massive top and bottom bezels compared to the Moto phones. Although you did have to deal with those capacitive buttons, so that might not matter to you as much. I feel like switching between apps on Android is faster than on iOS, but isn't anything to worry about. No file system access could be an issue with you, but I haven't found it to be that detrimental. Apps not being able to share as much information is a bit of a headache, but there are ways around that. An example is if I want to share a website with my brother on hangouts I can't just hit the share button and tap hangouts like on Android, because it isn't able to share with Hangouts (only a select few apps); instead I just copy the link and paste in Hangouts. The other two things I miss were Motorola exclusives: Moto Disply and the twist to start up camera. As a bit of a warning, the 6+ is a bit harder to hold than the Moto phones with the rounded backs. Mainly because the iPhone is large, flat, and made out of aluminum. It sure as heck feels nice, but takes a little adjusting to.

Other than these minor nitpicks, I don't think switching to iOS was that big of an issue for me. Hopefully you won't have any major gripes if you do the same.

3. jdebuhr thread starter macrumors newbie

jdebuhr

Thanks for the response.. I know I will miss the Moto Display and twist for camera. As for holding it.. my turbo is 'naked' and I would potentially get a case for the iPhone. I think not accessing the file system, may be an issue, but if I still able to download files (like a PDF) then delete it when I am done with it I should be okay.

I will still have an android tablet, but I don't always have it with me. so I will not be completely disconnected form the android world

4. iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

You won't miss the lack of support with Android updates. Apple is very supportive. There not on a leash with the carrier....

5. Love Divine macrumors member

Was a long time Android guy and came to the 6+. Haven't regretted it for one second.

Advantages:
    - Slickest designs - imo. The construction, fit and finish of the iPhone is unmatched still. Although great strides are being made Android-wise, w/ HTC and now Samsung.
    - Fast, sleek software. Everything is very smooth - moreso than the day I got it. In this area iOS crushes Android, and it's not close. My friend's GS6 is already a laggy mess compared to when he first got it. Touchwiz is horrible.
    - Consistent, fast updates. Unless you have a nexus, you ain't seeing the latest and greatest Android version any time soon, if at all. Even when you do get it, it's stripped of many cool features or layered with a skin by a less-than-competent manufacturer. None of the skins touch pure Android. With iOS, we'll get iOS 9.0 tomorrow. And most likely iOS 10 a year from now. And it will be pure and untouched.
    - Permissions - Android is finally catching up here. This is monumental for privacy and also a huge battery saver.
    - Battery life - The 6+ kills it here. Standby time is ridiculous. Note 4, Note 5, GS 6 - all phones I tried during my 6+ tenure, don't touch this.
    - Better Apps - more of them, you get most of them first, and they're better, app for app. This was the case for almost every single App I regularly used.
    - Great camera, screen, speakers - the fundamentals are nailed. I think the 6s will retake the camera crown after a year of great showings from Android in this area.
    - iMessage and family sharing - works very well within a Mac ecosystem, if that's what you want

Disadvantages:
    - Customization - I found that I never really had the time or drive to customize my phone, so this wasn't a big loss for me.
    - File system stuff - Again, personally not a huge deal for me.
    - Having to use iTunes - yeah, it sucks.
    - Facebook contact integration - this sucked out of the box, which surprised me. My old Palm Pre is still unsurpassed here. Had to use a third party app to get this nice and spiffy.
    - MicroSD - if you used it. I did not.

No way I'm going back to Android unless it's a Nexus. The cohesive, sleek experience - both across hardware and software - is unmatched. And I say that as huge past Android guy. It's simply what fit best for me.

6. jdebuhr thread starter macrumors newbie

jdebuhr

Out of your negatives, I think the main one that I might miss at first is the file system stuff. I have the same screen set-up from a bunch of years ago, so honestly I know there are some app groupings I would do, but otherwise, I think I will be fine

iTunes, Why does it suck?

Facebook? don't care, if I am on face book it is through the browser, on Android the app drains batteries (or did) so I don't have the app, no interest in installing the app.

MicroSD, Guess I will have to get the 64 or 128 version then..

Sound like another good switch. I am on Verizon Edge, so I will be paying off the slight balance on my Droid and switching.. but I need to wait a few more weeks ( for the 6s+)

7. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I did think of one other annoyance you might run into. The home screen app placement. Everything shift as far left and up in the home screen as it can. Sure you can make other home screens, but it is a bit maddening trying to organize in an efficient manner. I try to put my least used apps towards the top and corners on the 6+ because I can't reach them one handed easily.

8. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

If you're getting the 6 Plus, I'd definitely recommend getting a case. That phone is very slippery, especially if you have slightly drier hands - it glides off your hands.

9. Dreads macrumors member

When you move from android to Apple your gonna love it!!! You will get iOS updates for a few years unlike android unless it's nexus you won't get virus issues Apple won't let you you will get a true experience of how an app should run You will get complete security and piece of mind Apple pay is rather secure and nice to use if your only downside is gonna be iTunes then you will enjoy using iOS iMessage is in a class of its own the customer support is top notch and first class and lasts well after your phones warranty runs out....! Welcome to a proper phone-:)

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because other than through some apps iTunes is the only way to get content on to your device. Ringtones specifically are still iTunes only. The App store has a bazillion apps that will let you download ringtones but you still have to use iTunes to get that ringtone on to the device.

Video is the same way. PDF for iBooks, same way. Pictures are about the only thing you can download directly to the Camera app. Which brings me to the Camera app itself. If you have any predilection to storing photos in albums, well, iOS has albums. But you will find that iOS does not MOVE photos into albums. Albums are simply shortcut pointers to the photos IN the camera roll. So, your photo will 'exist' in two places. The album and the camera roll.

Updates. If you're starved for updates on Android, as mentioned Apple gives you that. What Apple does NOT give you is any ability to downgrade. Don't like the current point upgrade. Too bad. Apple won't let you go back. You can only update/restore to a version that Apple is currently signing and it's rarely anything but the latest version.

Filesystem: You can get access to the filesystem if you jailbreak. Jailbreaking is similar to rooting, but it's not entirely the same. If you do elect to do that there are a few file system browsers available. The one I use is iFile.

11. Macsidia macrumors regular

Macsidia

12. Kon33 macrumors newbie

The things I would miss:
    1. No flashing light to tell you that you have a message or voicemail ( you have to keep checking the IPhone to see if you missed anything if you're not by the phone when the message/call comes in.)
    2. No back button
    3. Numbers and letters on the keypad so you don't have to switch back and forth.
    4. From Galaxy 5 - no replaceable battery and no SD card slot
    5. No way to enlarge texts with just a button when you're reading them unless you go into setting and change the size.
    6. No button to delete all running apps at the same time.
    7. No changing of most used settings with just a swipe of the screen.
    I currently have the Galaxy S 5 and IPad Air and IPad mini.

13. jdebuhr thread starter macrumors newbie

jdebuhr

1) No notification?
    2) that might take getting use to
    3) that might be tough
    4) non-issue for me (Turbo)
    5) Enlarge Texts? as in text messages?
    6) not sure that is a deal breaker for me
    7) any examples?

THANKS for all the input so far.. still struggling on my decision

14. aced411 macrumors 6502

You can do the notification flashing light by enabling it in the accessibility settings.

15. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

Flashing is a setting in accsessibility. I use it currently.

The back button is on every app, and with iOS 9, it makes it easier to switch between apps. When you are in an App, and you go to another via notification, there is a back button that is placed where your Carrier usually is and it allows you to go back to the last app you were in.

Unfortuntly, you are right about this one, but you can get a third party keyboard from the app store that has this ability and function

Samsung has gotten rid of replaceable batterys and SD card slots in the new flagship phones becuse SD cards are slow as hell and the battery design which is not removable is more engergy effcient and lasts longer.

Actually, to enlarge text you can enable a qucik setting in accsessibility that allows you to enlarge the text.

And once again, there is no way to stop all running apps, but its also low faster to close apps on iOS then my Note 4 (Which is my work phone)

And yes you can have accsess to quick settings...just swipe up anywhere on iOS and you have control center which has brightness, volume, music controls, Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, Do not disturb and Rotation Lock toggles. It also has toggles for the flashlight, Clock app, Calculator app, and Camera app. And this control center can be accsessed from anywhere on iOS unless you change the setting and want it otherwise.

16. angusmcfisher macrumors member

It might be worth mentioning that you routinely closing apps is rumoured to actually use more resources than just leaving all your apps open.

This is true, but unfortunately you can't hold down on Wi-Fi for example to go into the relevant part in Settings where you can actually change network. Hopefully this will be a Force Touch feature.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

A bright flash going off as an alert is rather different than a small discrete LED calmly and continuously blinking to show that something was missed.

18. jdebuhr thread starter macrumors newbie

jdebuhr

Yeah I would say much different

19. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't. E an issue, because the turbo didn't have a notification light right? Just that amazing Moto display! Also, there is a "back" button in apps, but it is at the top left corner of the screen; which is a lot more difficult to get to compared with the soft keys on an Android device that sit at the bottom. A lot of apps allow the swipe from the left side of the screen feature that emulates going back, but going back is still a feature that Android excels at comparatively. It's nothing that has bothered me too much, but takes a day or so to get used to.

One other difference I thought of is the status bar. In Android, that is where your notifications live, on iOS that is not at all where they go. On iOS you have to swipe down the notification shade to access your notifications, but can set it up so you see them on your lock screen as well. I prefer the iOS way overall, because I can customize the heck out of how I get notified by certain apps (if I let them bug me at all). However, if you like seeing your notifications at a quick glance in your status bar, it might take some further getting used too. I always like my status bar clear on my Android phones, so the iOS transition was pretty easy for me in this regard.

20. jdebuhr thread starter macrumors newbie

jdebuhr

Yes I like the Moto display.. BUT, I am all for getting Email/Text notifications at a quick glance. My wife did not like the notifications not being there on the 5s, but seems to be use to it now.

So if I get new mail, is there a notification of any sort? on android it is there until I acknowledge it.. Same in iOS?

21. TeeRav19, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

TeeRav19 macrumors member

TeeRav19

Yes, notifications will appear on the lock screen until phone is unlocked - then they should appear in the drop down (swipe down) notification center until checked/cleared. I believe this is the default setting but I could be wrong.

22. TeeRav19 macrumors member

TeeRav19

If I recall correctly, isn't this - or something similar - being added as an iOS 9 feature.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's also a badge on the corresponding app icon.