Looking for advice from iphone 4 users.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mnsportsgeek, Aug 5, 2010.

  1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

    Feb 24, 2009

    I'm in the market for an iPhone so to speak. The dilemma I'm facing is that I attend school (Fargo, ND) in a place that gets ATT service from it's alltell partner. Needless to say, this service is TRASH. I used it last year and it was just miserable. However, ATT recently acquired towers in Fargo and has promised service within 12 months at the end of June. It could be 4 months. It could be 8. Or it could be 12. We don't know yet.

    I currently own a Samsung Epix which is basically dying, so my question to you is. Should I go ahead and purchase an iPhone 4 or wait till this area actually gets service which would be around the release of the iphone 5.

    Thanks for your opinions!
  2. macfanrutler macrumors regular


    Jun 13, 2010
    It's a hard question to answer. Things that you need to ask yourself:
    1. How often will you use the phone as a phone?
    2. Do you have access to wifi?
    3. Will you use it for music?

    The iPhone as you know is more than just a phone. If you have access to wifi then you have to decide if that is sufficient since the 3G coverage is crap.

    I have a hard time answering because AT&T in my area is great so I have no problems. I love my iPhone and would not trade it in for another phone. Sorry about being so vague. :D
  3. saving107 macrumors 603


    Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    You do have a 30 days return period to test it out. Buy it, if the service really is bad, then return it. But if you feel that the service is decent and livable, keep it.
  4. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

    May 27, 2010
    I would get service and try it out as saving107 mentioned.

    But to be honest, you should always go service first, phone second. I get great AT&T coverage here in Orlando, but if I didn't then I wouldn't have an iPhone.
  5. Tom G. macrumors 68010

    Tom G.

    Jun 16, 2009
    Champaign/Urbana Illinois
    I agree with the others that since you have 30 days to try it and see if you like it then you have nothing really to lose.

    Here in east central Illinois we only had the Edge when I got my iPhone 3GS last year. We were promised 3G service by late fall, and by late October we had it. So At&T does keep their word. It all depends on where you are at.
  6. dockingbay94 macrumors regular


    Jul 29, 2010
    If you are really into talking on the phone then maybe that isn't the best choice to get an iPhone, but again you do have 30 days to return it so trying it out can't hurt at all.

    So why the heck not pick one up and just see how it goes!
  7. miki66 macrumors 6502


    Nov 19, 2008
    agree. never wait for the latest tech because it's not gonna happen. get what you want now and live with it happily
  8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

    May 29, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

    I would get it, and use the 30 day trial period to test it out.
  9. jlake02 macrumors 68020


    Nov 2, 2008
    #2 has it. It really depends on how much you use it as a PHONE. I personally use my i4 phone 15% and the other features 85%. Even if I didn't have the best service, the i4 would still be worth it.

    (Oh and the Microcell at home means the vast majority of my calls are no problem anyway because I work from home.)

    GL! :)
  10. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    Feb 24, 2009
    I don't think ATT allows a microcell to be used where they don't supply service. I've looked into it. You guys make valid points about doing service first. Problem is I don't pay for my minutes right now as I'm still on my family's plan. We are from Minneapolis which gets FANTASTIC 3G coverage. No complaints whatsoever. It's just that the service in North Dakota is very sketchy so that is why I'm on AT&T and not Verizon.

    I do talk on the phone very often. About 20 minutes to an hour per day. However I did this on AT&T last year so I don't think I'm so worried about the call quality although it is a concern.

    My biggest concern is the data won't be very fast or reliable, but my campus is wireless so I guess that is a big benefit.

    And of course I do have the 30 day guarantee, and i'm very dissapointed with my current phone so I may just go ahead and purchase.

    Last question, are the iphone 4's in stock anywhere or are they still doing pre orders?
  11. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    Feb 24, 2009
    To answer the first reply. Yes, I will use it for music. I plan on selling my touch to pay for it since the iphone can do everything the touch can do. So it would essentially be combining two devices. My phone and ipod.

Share This Page