Looking for advice from my fellow G5 Users!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G5-Sir Mac Alot, Feb 20, 2013.

1. G5-Sir Mac Alot macrumors member

:confused:Ok, So my current everyday machine is a G5 Dual 1.8ghz maxed out at 4g of RAM. Today I found a G5 Dual Core 2.5ghz that can run up to 16g RAM for only $65.00. So I know I cant run any better than Leopard in either machine, and the G5 I have now has been pretty reliable for my needs, so is the speed bump really worth the money? Will I really notice a difference or would I be throwing money away on a system that in the end, is just as dead as what Ive got? Thought Id ask for some opinions.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

There was no Dual Core 2.5. There was a Dual Processor 2.5, and a Quad Core 2.5. I would recommend any of those for $65 with 16GB of RAM.

3. AlbertEinstein macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

If you know the limits of PowerPC and you can get it at an ok price; go for it. I use one for video encoding and it runs like a clockwork.:apple:

4. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

Sorry my mistake. This is the model thats for sale. $65.00. I looked it up and it has the capability of 16gb RAM, so that cost would have to be factored as well. Model Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) (Apple Model M9590LL/A)
    Serial # G86030AJUUY
    CPUs Two 2.0GHz Dual-Core PowerPC G5
    RAM 1.5GB Total (2 x 512MB and 2 x 256MB)
    Video nVidia GeForce 6600 LE 128MB (Dual DVI)

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

For $65 I would do it. I've got an older dual processor 2.0 G5 and its a great system. It was my daily system until I got the quad G5 a couple years back. I still have that system and its a great box. I would say you'll notice a speed difference with the newer G5 and its faster RAM, PCIe graphics card, and other improvements.

6. PowerPCMacMan, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

My choice

Hi,

Just wanted to add that if the LCS bothers you, then forgo the Quad.. but if you want to go with the Quad make sure it uses the SINGLE-PUMP versus the dual pump. Those came out in April 2006 till the end of the G5 which was in August 2006 with intro of Mac Pro 1,1

If not, then try the dual core 2.3 which is just as good.

One word of CAUTION: The Dual 2.5 NOT THE QUAD was one of the most problematic of the G5s. Those used older delphi pumps and lots of them leaked bad. Stay away from the dual 2.5 unless it has a Panasonic LCS. But really, at this point the Quad or Dual Core 2.3 would be your best shot.

7. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, Ive always been leery of the liquid cooled models just cause Ive heard so many horror stories. Thanks for all the cool advice! I will post if I decide to grab it!:)

8. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Now that I'm thinking about it for your use, I would go with the G5 Dual-Core 2.3. You will get a really nice machine and not have any worries with liquid cooling.

PPCMM
    :apple:

9. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

A Dual Processor 2.3 would be a good machine as well- not quite as good, but close.