Looking for advice on 13" rMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iUseMacBooks, Dec 6, 2015.

1. iUseMacBooks macrumors member

Hey all,

So over the past few months I've gone back and forth on a multitude of different options for getting another Mac. I have an 11" MacBook Air that I use everyday and I love it. I love how portable it is, and, being that I'm a college student, it's great to carry around daily. But, the screen is too small for my liking, and obviously the resolution is not great. (Also: I at one time considered a Mac Mini, but with College and taking my computer to work, I'll need a laptop if I upgrade from my MacBook Air). This has me considering getting a Retina MacBook Pro at some point. It'd be more money than I planned to spend on my next Mac, but I think it'd be worth it if I got something I really like. I'm looking for advice from MacBook Pro owners ... I had a mid-2012 MacBook Pro (non-Retina) but I didn't use it for much except note taking and writing. I never really took advantage of it's power. Is the 13" rMBP a very good laptop? With the extra power in comparison to my 11" Air, I'd probably get more into video editing if I got the Retina MBP, which is intriguing. I guess I'm just looking for advice/opinions from people who have a Retina MacBook Pro. Do you like it? Was it a good purchase? Thanks to anyone with insight.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The retina macbook pro is the best compromise between power, portability and battery life in any computer available as far as I can tell (with the possible exception of the new surface book but thats so expensive it's not worth looking at IMHO). I have a 2013 rMBP and it's been a great little laptop screen size just right (especially with scaling for more real estate when needed) screen brilliant, good connectivity and it will perform most things you throw at it with aplomb.

With skylake due in the rMBP in the next 3-5 months you may want to wait though.

3. iUseMacBooks thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. I will probably wait for a refresh, I figure I can hold out with my current set up for a few more months. While it won't be as light as my MacBook Air that I've become accustomed to, I'm really drawn to the MacBook Pro for the power that it brings, and of course the amazing screen. Thanks again.