Looking for advice on buying a Mac for Design/Animation...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cybrfrk, Mar 13, 2008.

1. cybrfrk macrumors newbie

cybrfrk

Evening Guys/Gals!

I'm looking for some advice from current animators etc, on which type of Mac to pick for 3D Design and Animation work and also what type of set-up they are currently using and their opinions. The reason for this topic is because I plan on having a career change and going back to college while I'm still young enough. Then if all goes well I can carry on doing this type of work for a living.

As there is going to be a lot of rendering etc, the choice is obviously narrowed down to the 'Pro' line of computers. Probably worth mentioning I'm looking to spend around £2000 as I want to have this computer for a number of years. Here are my options;

1. A customized mac pro w/Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP - Costs just over £2000
    2. A 17" Macbook Pro - £1799
    3. A 15" Macbook Pro (2.5Ghz model) w/Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP - Costs just over £2000.

Ideally, I wanted to go for the base model Macbook Pro with the external monitor, but as the Windows OS is going to have to be installed on the system I plan on doing a little gaming.:) Don't think the 256Mb graphics card would cut it.
    To me, option 3 seems to give me the best of both words. It's plenty powerful and has loads of screen real estate when hooked up to the display. Then I have the portability of a laptop should the opportunity arise.

Anyone care to point me in a different direction?

Thanks for your help!!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

As nice as portability can be, it sounds like you need power more than you need portability, and the Mac Pro will be loads faster and likely last you longer than either laptop. I'd say go for the Mac Pro and maybe in a year or two if you find you really need a portable option get a low-end MacBook to fulfill that need.

3. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I second the vote for MacPro.
    Animation is very processor/Ram intensive & it's one of those area's where the more the better.
    4 tb hd space, 32 gb ram, 8 processors.
    what more do you want?

4. cybrfrk thread starter macrumors newbie

cybrfrk

Thanks guys!! I'll take that into consideration

Anyone else care to throw in their $0.02?