Looking for advice on crashed iMac ...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eroxx, Feb 4, 2012.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

Hi .. I have a 2009 iMac with SSD drive and 2TB drive.

For the last 6 months, I'd get kernel errors every now and again, and I would reboot and things would be fine. A few days ago, the computer totally froze, and when I turned it on, it would shut right off. I tried booting to recovery partition, nothing worked.

I took it to the apple store yesterday and they hooked it up to an external drive and then did a diagnostic test and the genius said it needed a fresh install of lion, that something was corrupting it.

So we did that (for some reason though, it took about 4 tries for him to get it), and then I took the computer home and ran time machine. EVerything worked as it should for about 12 hours, I DID reboot a few times in that time ... Anyways, now, it's back to where it was where I turn it on, there's a status bar on the bottom that fills about halfway and then the iMac shuts down.

The apple genius (not being sarcastic lol) said that a corrupt program/application might be causing that. I find this hard to believe ... I can understand a corrupt program crashing or not starting, but is it possible for that to not allow the computer to even turn on? The other thing is that when the computer crashed a few days ago, I hadn't installed anything new/etc .... ???

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm betting on a hardware issue. I'd suspect something with the SSD.