Looking for advice on monitor for MacBook...

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
Ok so I'm getting one of my family members to switch and they are looking at getting a macbook to use on the road. However, when they get home they want to hook it up to a larger monitor something in the 19-22" range. Price is a factor as well as sharpness. They are not gamers so they don't need the fastest response time, nor will they be doing any color correction. Mainly word procesing, internet, and the occasional DVD. Does anybody have a monitor hooked up to their macbook that they would recomend?

-Thanx

xSOTYx

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
United Kingdom
Have you looked at Dell monitors?! I have a 19" and love the display. And apparently there made by the same manufacturer as the Apple ones or something along those lines.

Vidd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Have you looked at Dell monitors?! I have a 19" and love the display. And apparently there made by the same manufacturer as the Apple ones or something along those lines.
You're thinking of the fact that they use the same panels sometimes.
They're good monitors for the purpose described.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
I've looked, but I want to make sure that there are no issues or surprises and that's why I'm asking for people's experiences. For example, I've used plenty of dell hardware (laptops, towers and printers) and it always breaks (luckily within warranty). Do you have a macbook hooked up to your 19"?

-Thanx

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Dells are probably the safest way to go, but look at other brands (Sony, LG, Samsung, Viewsonic, HP, etc)

Currently I'm using a 17" Dell with my Macbook.. works perfect. Although I'm going to be changing it to a 24" Dell or a 23" ACD. (Probably the Dell, better bang for the buck, imho)

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
Dells are probably the safest way to go, but look at other brands (Sony, LG, Samsung, Viewsonic, HP, etc)

Currently I'm using a 17" Dell with my Macbook.. works perfect. Although I'm going to be changing it to a 24" Dell or a 23" ACD. (Probably the Dell, better bang for the buck, imho)
I'm not looking at the apple monitors the price is too high and don't need that level of monitor.

Some dells have a usb hub and card readers built in can you utilize this with a macbook or do they have some weird proprietary cable that you can only use on dells?

Anybody use clamshell mode and wireless keyboard/mice? any issues?

-Thanx again for your responses.:)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005

Yeah I bought a 22" Dell LCD for my Macbook, it does the job and it was the right price.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I have a 19" acer that I LOVE. I pitched my samsung for it. I think it was $190 at compusa, and it was easily one of the nicest monitors in the store. It's even pretty nice looking. I'm totally happy with it.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
The USB hub and card reader on a Dell monitor will work fine with a Mac, no drivers or any funny business necessary.
Thank you, that's what I needed to know.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=172772&linkid=j13459594k1971&affiliateid=k1971&mid=sduidp0t0

circuit city has this 22" for $190. At this price it's sold out online but maybe they still have it in a store around you. For less than $200 you can't go wrong with this monitor. Gets good reviews on Circuit City and the specs look good too.
Interesting. That's a good price for a pretty good size. However, some people say its not very adjustable. Hmmm...

I'm thinking maybe a Dell E207WFP 20-inch. They have it refurbished for $219.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-5123