Looking for advice on monitor for MacBook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fblack, Sep 2, 2007.

1. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Ok so I'm getting one of my family members to switch and they are looking at getting a macbook to use on the road. However, when they get home they want to hook it up to a larger monitor something in the 19-22" range. Price is a factor as well as sharpness. They are not gamers so they don't need the fastest response time, nor will they be doing any color correction. Mainly word procesing, internet, and the occasional DVD. Does anybody have a monitor hooked up to their macbook that they would recomend?

-Thanx

2. xSOTYx macrumors member

Have you looked at Dell monitors?! I have a 19" and love the display. And apparently there made by the same manufacturer as the Apple ones or something along those lines.

3. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

You're thinking of the fact that they use the same panels sometimes.
    They're good monitors for the purpose described.

4. fblack thread starter macrumors 6502a

fblack

I've looked, but I want to make sure that there are no issues or surprises and that's why I'm asking for people's experiences. For example, I've used plenty of dell hardware (laptops, towers and printers) and it always breaks (luckily within warranty). Do you have a macbook hooked up to your 19"?

-Thanx

5. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Dells are probably the safest way to go, but look at other brands (Sony, LG, Samsung, Viewsonic, HP, etc)

Currently I'm using a 17" Dell with my Macbook.. works perfect. Although I'm going to be changing it to a 24" Dell or a 23" ACD. (Probably the Dell, better bang for the buck, imho)

6. fblack thread starter macrumors 6502a

fblack

I'm not looking at the apple monitors the price is too high and don't need that level of monitor.

Some dells have a usb hub and card readers built in can you utilize this with a macbook or do they have some weird proprietary cable that you can only use on dells?

Anybody use clamshell mode and wireless keyboard/mice? any issues?

-Thanx again for your responses.:)

7. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

The USB hub and card reader on a Dell monitor will work fine with a Mac, no drivers or any funny business necessary.

8. showtime macrumors 6502

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Yeah I bought a 22" Dell LCD for my Macbook, it does the job and it was the right price.

10. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have a 19" acer that I LOVE. I pitched my samsung for it. I think it was $190 at compusa, and it was easily one of the nicest monitors in the store. It's even pretty nice looking. I'm totally happy with it.

11. fblack thread starter macrumors 6502a

fblack

Thank you, that's what I needed to know.

Interesting. That's a good price for a pretty good size. However, some people say its not very adjustable. Hmmm...

I'm thinking maybe a Dell E207WFP 20-inch. They have it refurbished for $219.
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-5123