Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ziwi, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Current uses of Mac Mini:
    Aperture 3
    Final Cut Express - may upgrade to FCPX
    Photoshop CS3 - most likely upgrade to CS5
    Standard web, pages, numbers, iTunes, iPhoto

The 2007 1.83 C2D Mini was what replaced the Power Mac G5

Thinking of upgrading to either the iMac or the Mini Server.

THe issues I have are that I was comfortable ripping the mini open to get it to go this long with HD and Ram changes, but I do not think I would be so comfortable with ripping open an iMac.

Advantages of Mini Server - already set up for one, display keyboard, mouse, etc.
    - 2 internal drives that are somewhat user replaceable
    - Most likely add a boot SSD drive
    - low power

Advantages of iMac
    - Another display to use
    - Can add more Ram
    - Discrete graphics

So it would really be the $1499 iMac 21.5" vs the mini server at $999
    THe base iMac only has the 500GB internal drive and I would like the 1TB minimum so that forces the next one up - also provides option to get the i7 at another $200 premium.

So the question is for $500 more is the iMac that much better than the Mini server for my needs - will it be better at the things I do at i5 or i7. Dropping the 16GB Ram in there is appealing but not if that is the only real benefit at $500 additional.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

2. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Most of your jobs are graphics extensive. Get the most powerful. On the other hand, if money is tight, spend it on the chip. Hard drive can be upgraded easily.

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

In an imac its really easy to replace the RAM, its just one screw and a tray in the bottom of it (pretty much under the apple logo under the screen) It'll take you 5 mins max to replace. Also 16GB RAM will cost $90-120 if you buy it yourself. 8GB costs roughly 50. Since the iMac has 4 RAM slots, you can buy 8GB and put the into the two free slots. That will give you 12GB (cuz of the standard 4GB). You can see if 12 is enough for you or not, and purchase more if needed.