Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Lithuania
I have a small business and currently pay $115 a month for 2 land lines, with no long distance service. I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option. One line is for voice and voice mail, the other is for fax and credit card machine. I have internet through another company, with wifi through an airport express. The phone has to stay at the business because other employees use it (i.e. no cell phone).

This is in Oregon, USA. Any suggestions appreciated.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Check with your ISP and see if they have some kind of VOIP service available as a package deal. Honestly, you'll probably have to keep at least one analog line for the fax and credit card machine unless you want to get into some in-depth networking using an ATA device on a VOIP network.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Check with your ISP and see if they have some kind of VOIP service available as a package deal. Honestly, you'll probably have to keep at least one analog line for the fax and credit card machine unless you want to get into some in-depth networking using an ATA device on a VOIP network.

Steve's is good advice and a good possibility. What about linking your internet and phone service-would that save you money. Who provides your internet? Do they have phone capabilities as well? Most cable companies do that, but then again you'd have to get cable.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Just be careful about a VoIP solution. The cheap ones can be crappy. I know my last company made the switch and the first system was crap. Dropped calls, major latency, etc. They stepped up to a more expensive solution, which solved the problems. But it cost them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.