Looking for an adapter for MBA 2013's SSD (PCI-E based)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by capran, Jun 2, 2014.

1. capran macrumors member

Hi, guys. I bought a 11" MBA 8GB RAM 128GB SSD last year, and recently got a hold of a 256GB SSD that I swapped in. That means I've got a spare freakingly awesome fast PCI-e SSD just gathering dust. I've looked and looked and looked but can't find any adapters that would allow me to use it with a different computer.

OWC makes a USB3 external box that works with the 2011/2012 MBA's SSD, and there are 3rd party PC manufacturers that make M.2/NGFF adapter cards that can connect to SATA or PCI-e 4x in a PC. But, Apple chose to go with a proprietary connector on their SSDs for 2013, so even though (from what I gather) they're electrically the same as the NGFF boards now coming out from Samsung, et al, you can't connect the Apple SSD to the adapter because the card edge is keyed and shaped differently.

Has anyone found an adapter to the adapter? :)

Please let me know!

(PS, I threw my SSD up on eBay, but after a week, no bites. I'll provide a link if requested.)

2. venom600 macrumors 6502a

No adapter currently exists for the PCI-E SSDs. A few companies have promised them for late 2014, but nothing has surfaced yet.

3. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

To echo what venom600 said, nothing as of now. If you're needing fast storage, I suggest putting the 128GB on eBay, and using that sale to purchase a USB3 enclosure, along with an SSD. Fast portable storage.

4. jmazzamj macrumors regular

If you need it now then do as suggested and sell it.
    If you can wait, hold on and buy an adapter in a few months, I'm sure OWC and Trascend will come up with something.

P.S: How did you get a hold of a hold of a 256 GB Air SSD?