Looking for an All-in-one Printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peewee66, May 24, 2009.

1. peewee66 macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I'm in the market for an all-in-one color printer (wireless) and all the research I've done so far has only added to my confusion. Almost every printer I've looked at has received mixed reviews from users. I will be doing mostly black and white printing, with occasional color printing. Automatic duplex printing is an important feature, so is ADF for scanning. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
    --PV
    :confused:

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hi. I was in the same position a few months ago. Looking for a good all in one. The Epson Workforce had fair reviews and all the tech features I was looking for. When I went to look at the thing and "kick the tires" I was not at all impressed by the build quality. I wound up getting a wide format Epson 1400 that is well built, and will save for a good scanner later. This doesn't really help, but I found that the more you ask a device designed to print to do, the more it lessens the quality.

Dale

3. cube macrumors G4

Canon are reportedly the most solid printers. I was going to the the MX850 (which also prints discs) instead of the MX860 (which does not print discs but it's wireless), but because they cannot FAX from Mac I gambled on the HP Photosmart Premium All In One C309, which has been working well so far.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Hp 7280

I went with this one HP 7280. It's been great and plays very nice with Apple products. Wireless was easy to set up also.

Another link

5. peewee66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Agree but...

@DesignerDale: Actually that is a big mental reservation I have, knowing that the quality is going to be compromised because of all the varied functions being stuffed into one machine. But I'm forced to go that route due to space limitations. To be honest, I'm not looking for top-of-the-line print quality. I can always go to a service bureau for that. What I want is a solid reliable machine that is not a huge headache to setup and maintain, and that will last a few years. These days it seems like that is too much to ask...:(

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you didn't need the duplex or ADF, I'd say go for the HP C6380. I've got it and setup was painless.

A lot of people give Epson printers bad reviews when coupled to a Mac.

7. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

I have the MX860. It's been a solid AIO. I did overlook the ability to fax from the Mac, but I've been getting along fine without it. I had a brother before, and I liked that feature.

8. momo.786 macrumors member

Hi,
    Have a look at the HP OfficeJet J6413...had mine for just under a year. Not too pricey, but still a decent reliable all-in-one. Does full scanning/copying/faxing. Also does auto-duplex printing, but no duplex ADF. Has wireless facility, but only for printing. i struggled to find any printer that does wireless scanning...maybe its possible configuring the printer to work with a AEBS, but havent tried that yet. Printing quality is decent, but obviously not laser quality. The XL cartridges offer more value for money. Fairly fast as well. Would definitely recommend this one...sounds perfect for what you looking for.

I also considered the Canon MX850...an awesome machine, but much more pricier and bulkier. And the HP was on sale, so it was a done deal:p

9. peewee66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all

Thanks everybody, for your advice. Just thought I'd update everyone on my decision - I ended up going with separate devices, after a good amount of research. I got a b&w laser printer (Brother HL-5370DW) which is very solid and was quite easy to setup. I'm happy with the results so far. For scanning, the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M is on its way as I write this. It has very positive reviews, and I'm hoping the ADF feature will help me reduce the amount of paper I have to store in my home office. Oh, and as a bonus I get Acrobat Pro for free with it, which I really needed anyway, so it's a great deal as far as I'm concerned. I decided I didn't really need the Fax function that badly, I can always scan and email the occasional doc I do need to Fax.
    The next challenge is finding a good mid-range Photo Printer. And of course, making room for all these devices :(