Looking for an alternative podcast app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ianbillmorris, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ianbillmorris macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am trying to find a podcast app with the following features,
    1) Iphone and Ipad Client
    2) Mac client
    3) Windows client for when I am at work

Of course I want it to sync playlists and positions between all 3.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Ian

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I'm using Instacast now and like it.
    There is an OS X version but I think beta, and I don't know if it's paid so far or not.
    I don't know if Instacast can sync play position between devices (but it can surely sync podcast subscriptions and so on).

I don't like the fact that It won't download some podcasts for weird reasons, and if a podcast updates several times a day you can only download one episode (unless you set it to check for new every hour, and the episodes have a lapse of more than one hour between them... as you can see.. a mayor PiTA).
    The developer doesn't seem responsive and there is no active community.

A crappier, or let's just say, less fancier app is Downcast but it ain't that pretty and for some reason I found it clunky and less intuitive.

The default podcast app sucks for me, I hate it, and it has the annoying "if you haven't listened to 5 podcasts of a given subscription then Imma stop downloading for you since I'm so smart tehehehehehe" behavior, that his big brother, iTunes, has.
    But on the other side iTunes works on both OS X and Windows, so if you don't feel annoyed by my last paragraph and if it syncs positions (maybe it does now? I have no idea) then you already have a winner?

Other than that I searched for something in the market and didn't find anything that didn't look circa 90s. I'd love for somebody to prove me wrong and show me the way of that podcast app that is really worth it.

In the end I'm using Instacast but it has some annoyances.